Munda, wife escape as chopper crash lands (Lead)May 9th, 2012 - 3:25 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, May 9 (IANS) Jharkhand Chief Minister Arjun Munda and his wife had a narrow escape Wednesday when their chopper turned turtle and landed on its side at the airport here.
Munda and his wife Meera, who were on their way to Saraikela Kharsawa district to participate in a programme, received injuries and were taken to hospital.
The chief minister suffered a fracture in his right hand as well as injuries on his chest and neck.
“Munda and his wife Meera Munda are being treated in the hospital,” Javed Akhtar, spokesperson of the Apollo Hospital, told IANS.
“He is out of danger. He has sustained injuries in his chest, neck and other parts,” P.D. Sinha, a doctor at the hospital, told reporters.
The chopper crash landed at 12.25 p.m. after it developed technical snags, an official said. It took off at 11.45 a.m. from Ranchi but could not land at Kuchai in Saraikela Kharsawa district and turned back.
It landed on the ground from a height of about 25 feet in the air, police sources said.
The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) has ordered an enquiry.
Services to Ranchi airport have been hit, and will be restored only by evening.
- Jharkhand CM survives nasty chopper crash (Evening Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Munda injured after chopper crash lands (Second Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Pilot wisdom saved Munda and others - May 09, 2012
- Munda recovering in hospital after chopper crash - May 10, 2012
- Munda works from ICU, legislator discharged - May 11, 2012
- Munda recovering in hospital after chopper crash (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Munda, wife discharged from hospital - May 17, 2012
- Munda: I am fine, will soon get back to work - May 12, 2012
- Injured Munda to convene cabinet meeting May 17 - May 14, 2012
- Gadkari meets Munda in hospital - May 13, 2012
- Injured Munda discharging duties from bed - Jun 04, 2012
- Chopper mishap: Bedridden Munda sits up for first time - Jun 24, 2012
- Drunk CRPF trooper kills six colleagues, shot dead (Lead) - Jul 17, 2010
- Dhruv choppers grounded after crash - Oct 20, 2011
- Munda wins Jharkhand by-poll, to stay as chief minister (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
Tags: air police, apollo hospital, chest neck, chief minister, chopper, civil aviation, crash lands, dgca, directorate general, enquiry services, fracture, kuchai, meera, narrow escape, police sources, snags, spokesperson, turtle