Munda seeks restoration of coal block to JharkhandJuly 7th, 2011 - 4:58 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, July 7 (IANS) Jharkhand Chief Minister Arjun Munda met union Minister of Coal Sriprakash Jaiswal Thursday to seek the reversal of his ministry’s decision to cancel allotment of a coal block to the state, officials said.
“We met Jaiswal and requested him to consider the coal ministry’s decision to cancel the coal block. The minister has assured us that he will consider our request,” Munda told reporters after meeting the coal minister in New Delhi.
According to officials of the Chief Minister’s Office here, Jaiswal has asked Munda to send a request letter on the issue.
Munda has also written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the matter.
The Jharkhand State Electricity Board (JSEB) was allocated a coal block in the state in 2006 for its thermal power plants. However, the board has yet to start mining in the block.
Last year, the coal ministry issued notice to the JSEB to know whether or not it wanted the block.
After the board failed to give a satisfactory reply, the ministry cancelled the allotment last month.
The coal block is significant for Jharkhand as the state produces less than 30 percent of its required electricity.
- Jharkhand suffers power jolt, loses coal block - Jun 17, 2011
- We cannot meet power firms' coal demands: Minister - Dec 01, 2011
- Jharkhand plans to give rural families power-saver CFLs - Jul 25, 2011
- Jharkhand to get second 4,000 MW power plant - Jun 17, 2012
- Coal block auctioning to begin in two months: Jaiswal - Jun 08, 2012
- Jharkhand coal output hit by Maoist menace, says Jaiswal - Apr 14, 2011
- Inter-ministerial group reviews coal block allocations - Sep 03, 2012
- Centre delaying Jharkhand power project, says Munda - Jul 29, 2011
- BJP poses more questions to PM, Jaiswal over coal block allocations (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Injured Munda discharging duties from bed - Jun 04, 2012
- Jharkhand to spend Rs.1,600 crore to lay power lines - Feb 26, 2012
- Coal workers threaten to go on strike - May 02, 2012
- Jharkhand cancels MoUs of 15 companies - Feb 21, 2012
- Coal blocks taken away from firms, including NTPC - May 05, 2011
- Bengal minister to visit New Delhi over coal blocks allocation - Mar 06, 2012
Tags: allotment, chief minister, coal, jaiswal, jharkhand state electricity board, jseb, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, request letter, satisfactory reply, state electricity board, state officials, thermal power plants, union minister