Munda reaches out to people in Maoist areasFebruary 27th, 2012 - 2:14 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Feb 27 (IANS) Development must reach the remotest part of the state, Jharkhand Chief Minister Arjun Munda said Monday, a day after he began the fourth phase of his road trip through six Maoist strongold districts.
Munda, who began the first phase of his ’sadak yatra’ in November last year, is covering Ramgarh, Hazaribgh, Chatra, Koderma, Giridih and Dhanbad districts in this round.
Apparently undeterred by the shutdown called by Maoists in the region, Munda told reporters in Chatra: “There is need take development to remote areas of the state. The sadak yatra is not only for road inspection… it is a move to understand ground realities and galvanise the system in remote areas to ensure development.”
On the way, hundreds of Congress workers welcomed him in Ramgarh, overlooking the fact that he is from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
“Munda is chief minister of the state and we are welcoming our chief minister not a BJP leader. A chief minister has come to our areas for the first time,” a Congress wokrer told reporters.
Munda has been taking stock of development works such as roads, education and health in villages during his extensive trips across the state. He began the first phase of the sadak yatra in November last year.
More than half of Jharkhand’s population lives below the poverty line. It is also one of the worst affected by Maoist violence with the guerrillas active in 18 of the 24 districts.
- Development will help fight Maoist menace: Arjun Munda (Interview) - Jan 24, 2012
- Munda begins third leg of road check in Maoist areas - Jan 20, 2012
- Munda may skip Jan Chetna rally as Advani skirts Jharkhand - Oct 11, 2011
- Jharkhand wants industrial corridor like Delhi-Mumbai one - Aug 06, 2012
- Jharkhand to get second 4,000 MW power plant - Jun 17, 2012
- Will Reliance official's killing hamper investment in Jharkhand? - Apr 07, 2011
- Ramesh assures Munda of Maoist areas' speedy development - Oct 31, 2011
- Munda reiterates special status demand for Jharkhand - Oct 24, 2011
- Start online FIRs by Nov 15, Munda tells police - Sep 20, 2011
- Maoists kill Reliance Power official in Jharkhand (Second Lead) - Apr 06, 2011
- Munda begins Jharkhand road inspection - Nov 03, 2011
- Jharkhand to get airport at Deoghar - Feb 16, 2012
- Japanese PM assures Munda of help in development - Dec 27, 2011
- Jharkhand to monitor under-construction roads through mobile phones - Jan 20, 2012
- Maoists massacre 13 Jharkhand policemen (Second Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
Tags: arjun munda, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, chief minister, congress workers, dhanbad, education, fourth phase, giridih, ground realities, guerrillas, maoist, maoists, population lives, poverty line, road trip, strongold, taking stock, violence, yatra