Mumbai violence: Raj Thackeray demands Patil’s resignationAugust 17th, 2012 - 9:14 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 17 (IANS) After the Bharatiya Janata Party, the Raj Thackeray-led Maharashtra Navnirman Sena Friday joined the clamour for the resignations of Home Minister R.R. Patil and city police commissioner for their alleged failure to control the Aug 11 Mumbai violence.
“We shall take out a procession to Girgaum Chowpatty demanding the resignations of both Patil and (Police Commissioner) Arup Patnaik, as they have completely failed to foresee and control the violence,” Thackeray told the mediapersons here.
He also dismissed speculation pointing at ‘intelligence failure’ over the Aug 11 violence following a 25,000 strong procession by Muslim groups to protest killings in Assam and Myanmar.
“In fact, the police had specific information about the presence of notorious anti-social elements who had pre-planned the violence and had reached the venue with arms. A majority of them were outsiders. Why have the police not yet taken proper action against them,” Thackeray asked.
Questioning Patil’s credentials for running the home department, Thackeray urged Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar to take over the crucial portfolio.
“He had once said he was a ruffian in politics, now (take over the home ministry) prove it,” Thackeray challenged Pawar.
The MNS chief expressed concern over the Aug 11 incidents saying that if the police personnel themselves were not safe in this city, then where would the common people go, referring to the attacks on 45 male and female police personnel during the violence.
- Thousands march in Mumbai to protest violence (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Mumbai police chief transferred (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Mumbai Police gear up for MNS march - Aug 21, 2012
- Police allow Raj Thackeray to hold rally (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Raj Thackeray to take out march even if refused permission - Aug 20, 2012
- Speculation rife on Mumbai police commissioner's transfer - Aug 22, 2012
- Bangladeshi infiltrators behind Mumbai violence, says Raj Thackeray - Aug 21, 2012
- Patnaik transferred, Satyapal Singh is new Mumbai top cop (Third Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Raj blames Bangladeshis for violence, wants Patil out (Roundup) - Aug 21, 2012
- Bangladeshi infiltrators behind Mumbai violence, says Raj Thackeray (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Mumbai cop offers rose to Raj Thackeray, attacks police chief - Aug 21, 2012
- Patnaik goes, Mumbai gets new police chief (Roundup) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sack Maharashtra home minister: BJP - Aug 13, 2012
- Samajwadi Party files complaint against Raj Thackeray - Aug 22, 2012
- I'm a ruffian in politics: Ajit Pawar - Feb 20, 2011
Tags: ajit, arup, assam, bharatiya janata party, city police, clamour, common people, deputy chief minister, female police, home minister, home ministry, intelligence failure, maharashtra navnirman sena, muslim groups, police commissioner, procession, raj thackeray, resignations, ruffian, social elements