Mumbai trader stabbed, looted of diamonds in Punjab townOctober 10th, 2008 - 8:56 pm ICT by IANS
Ludhiana, Oct 10 (IANS) Robbers looted diamonds worth Rs.15 million from a Mumbai-based diamond trader after throwing chilli powder into his eyes and stabbing him in a Punjab town, police said Friday.The incident took place near Phillaur town of Punjab Thursday night.
Bhupesh Shah, and his associate were attacked by the robbers when their taxi driver stopped the car at a desolate spot on the Jalandhar-Ludhiana highway on the pretext of passing urine.
The incident took place when the trader was returning from Jalandhar city, 60 km away, in a taxi.
The police suspect the taxi driver to be involved in the crime, Superintendent of Police Paramvir Parmar said.
The robbers took away a bag of the trader that contained diamonds, cash and credit cards. They drove off in the same taxi after dumping the trader and his associate on the road.
Residents from Puccapur village gathered at the spot and helped the trader. They took both men to a hospital in Phillaur town.
Shah told the police that he had reached Phillaur for business by Shatabdi express Wednesday and had hired the taxi from Phillaur.
- Seven killed as rains lash Punjab - Aug 13, 2011
- Son of Punjab Police officer arrested for robbing Mumbai diamond trader (Lead) - Oct 12, 2008
- Punjab police officer's son held for jewellery theft - Oct 12, 2008
- Senior Punjab Police officer's son, gunman behind Rs.40 mn heist (Lead) - Oct 12, 2008
- Jewellery shop burgled in Tamil Nadu town - Feb 22, 2012
- 17 devotees killed in Punjab accident - May 07, 2012
- Shutdown affects Punjab, Rajoana appeals for peace (Third Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Shutdown hits Punjab, Rajoana appeals for calm (Second Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Moral policing and media overzealousness cost a young life (Punjab Newsletter) - Sep 14, 2012
- Man robbed at Noida mall, two hurt in shootout - Aug 06, 2012
- Over 30 per cent polling in Punjab municipal poll - Jun 10, 2012
- 18 devotees killed in Punjab accident (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Armed dacoits rob bus passengers - Mar 14, 2012
- Rs.33 lakh looted from bank van (Lead, changing dateline) - Mar 31, 2012
- Cricketer Harbhajan Singh robbed in Haryana - Dec 12, 2011