Mumbai sees coldest March day in 43 yearsMarch 10th, 2012 - 9:19 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 10 (IANS) Mumbai Saturday saw its coldest March day in 43 years, with the minimum temperature dipping to 12.7 degrees Celsius, weather officials said.
The previous low for the month - 13.8 degrees C - was recorded March 30, 1968.
Today’s low for March was 1.1 degrees lower than the previous lowest for the month, the official said.
Incidentally, the lowest Mumbai temperature - 8 degrees Celsius - in the past four years was recorded on Feb 8 this year.
Barely two weeks later, the city’s highest temperature - 39.1 degrees Celsius - in the past ten years was recorded.
The sharply fluctuating temperatures in Mumbai are attributed to the severe winter in the northern hemisphere, snowfall and cold weather conditions in north India and continuing western disturbances.
The weather patterns in the past few weeks - oscillating between very warm days and unusually cool nights, with similar differences in the humidity levels - have hit Mumbaikars with several health problems.
However, the low temperatures are expected to continue for the next four days before the days get warmer, the official said.
- Snowless but bone-chilling Christmas in north India (Roundup) - Dec 25, 2011
- North India shivers as winter chill continues (Roundup) - Dec 27, 2011
- Amritsar reels at minus 0.2 degree - Dec 31, 2011
- Coldest Feb 9 in five years, chill to continue Friday (Second Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Amritsar shivers at minus 2.1 degrees - Dec 30, 2011
- More snow in Manali, Kalpa and higher reaches of Himachal - Jan 26, 2012
- Another warm day in Delhi, mercury set to rise (Lead) - Mar 24, 2011
- Himachal's Keylong sees season's heaviest snow - Mar 05, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana slightly warmer Thursday - Dec 29, 2011
- Clear morning, hot day expected - Mar 16, 2011
- Night temperatures rise in Punjab and Haryana - Feb 10, 2012
- Amritsar shivers at 0.4 degrees, Hisar at 1.5 - Dec 23, 2011
- Temperatures plunge in Rajasthan - Jan 12, 2012
- Sunny but nippy New Year's day in Himachal (Lead) - Jan 01, 2011
- Another warm day in Delhi (Lead) - Nov 04, 2011