Mumbai-Goa highway blocked for second daySeptember 5th, 2011 - 5:39 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 5 (IANS) A fresh landslide early Monday continued to keep traffic on the 600-km Mumbai-Goa highway disrupted for the second day, traffic police said.
Vehicles were stranded on the highway, the tailback stretching six kilometres, and buses fell 15 hours behind schedule after a landslide Sunday at Kashedi ghat in Raigad district.
The debris was cleared Sunday but a fresh landslide in the wee hours of Monday threw traffic out of gear again.
Heavy rainfall in the Konkan region during the past few days has added to the misery of festival season travellers.
Heavy traffic on the highway is common during the ten-day Ganesh festival as those from the Konkan belt living and working in Mumbai return to their native places.
Kashedi ghat is picturesque but it remains vulnerable to heavy rainfall.
- Two killed as heavy rains lash coastal Maharashtra - Jul 22, 2010
- Rains wreak havoc in Maharashtra (Lead) - Aug 29, 2011
- Hundreds of tourists stranded in Himachal Pradesh - Aug 20, 2012
- Heavy rains disrupt rail, road traffic in Mumbai - Aug 27, 2012
- Heavy rains disrupt life, rail links in coastal Maharashtra - Jul 24, 2010
- Himachal may see heavy rains, rivers in spate - Aug 19, 2012
- Landslide blocks Konkan Railway, thousands stranded - Aug 30, 2011
- 21 killed as rains wreak havoc in Maharashtra - Oct 03, 2009
- Heavy rains hit trains in coastal Maharashtra - Jul 25, 2010
- Landslides cut off Kinnaur from Shimla - Jun 17, 2011
- Heavy rains continue in Maharashtra - Sep 04, 2012
- Heavy rains, snow force shutdown of JK highway for third day - Mar 03, 2011
- Landslides disrupt Konkan Railway traffic - Jul 18, 2011
- Konkan train services restored - Jun 19, 2011
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, Maharashtra (Lead) - Aug 28, 2011