Mumbai fights back to draw with Indian Oil in Murugappa Cup hockeySeptember 8th, 2008 - 9:26 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sep 8 (IANS) Indian Oil Corporation Ltd (IOCL) blew a 4-1 lead and were held to a 4-4 draw by spirited Mumbai in a pool A match of the 84th All-India MCC Murugappa Gold Cup hockey tournament here Monday.Forward Deepak Thakur sent out a strong reminder to the national selectors with two goals (19th, 41st) and setting up Roshan Minz (20th) after penalty corner specialist Raghunath had put IOCL ahead with a seventh minute conversion.
Mumbai capitalised on IOCL’s complacency to claw their way back into the match. Ajay Kumar slotted home a Jayesh Yadav pass in the 22nd minute. Joga Singh broke through twice in the 61st and 67th minutes to beat India goalkeeper Baljit Singh.
Seconds before the hooter, Osafur Rehman, left free inside the circle, banged home for the equaliser.
IOCL still top the pool with seven points while Mumbai have four after three matches.
Meanwhile, in pool B, Air India recorded their second win in three matches defeating Orissa XI 7-3.
For Air India, Sandeep Singh, recovering from fever, converted two penalty corners (37th, 55th) while Arjun Halappa, striving to regain his place in the Indian team, also knocked in two goals (33rd, 65th).
V.S. Vinaya (10th), Girish Pimpale (19th) and Vikram Pilay (25th), struck one each to complete another profitable outing for Air India.
The young Orissa team, who suffered their second defeat, marked their presence through goals by Nuel Tirkey (11th), Dilip Kerketta (51st) and Sanjay Ekka (68th).
Later, Karnataka XI squandered a 2-0 lead to crash to their third straight defeat in pool B, losing 2-3 to local challengers Indian Overseas Bank.
Goals by Ramarao (7th) and Sandeep Michael (17th) put Karnataka in a sound position, but after the change of ends, IOB came into their own and scored thrice through Gopinath (56th), Senthil (57th) and Adam Sinclair (65th) for their first win in three outings.
- MCC-Murugappa Hockey: BPCL, Air India enter semis - Sep 14, 2012
- PNB XI to clash with ONGC in Nehru hockey final - Nov 24, 2011
- MCC-Murugappa Hockey: Army XI draw with ONGC - Sep 11, 2012
- Murugappa Gold Cup hockey: Army, IOCL bag full points - Jul 16, 2010
- ONGC through to Murugappa hockey semifinals - Jul 19, 2010
- Kerala split points with Kashmir in junior hockey - Sep 04, 2012
- Hockey: Karnataka play Punjab, Jharkhand face Harayana in semis (Roundup) - Jun 17, 2011
- India lose to Spain in second hockey Test - Jul 08, 2012
- WSH: Marines gun down Lions - Mar 09, 2012
- India ride on Sandeep's brilliance to book London berth - Feb 26, 2012
- India thrash Poland 4-2, face France in final (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- IOCL edge past Army XI in Murugappa Gold Cup hockey - Oct 04, 2009
- India beat South Africa 6-5 in hockey Test - Jul 09, 2012
- Air India rout Railways - Sep 06, 2012
- India eves go down to China in Junior Asia Cup - Jul 02, 2012