Mumbai FC thrash Mohammedan Sporting 3-0January 20th, 2009 - 9:12 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 20 (IANS) Mumbai FC continued its winning streak, thrashing Kolkata outfit Mohammedan Sporting 3-0 in a pulsating eleventh round encounter of the I-League football at the Cooperage here Tuesday. Riston Rodrigues (35th), K. Kulothungan (44th) and Abhishek Yadav (74th) were on target for the hosts. Ghanaian playmaker Abel Hammond created all the opportunities for Mumbai FC. The visitors, however, were unlucky despite playing aggressively and suffered their fifth consecutive defeat.
Mohammedan Sporting attacked early and got a chance to score in the ninth minute but Jyoti Kumar squandered it as he failed to get past the goalie from close ranges.
In the next minute, Mumbai FC opened a chance from a counter attack but striker Felix failed to connect to the precise cross from Abel Hammond from the left flank. They, however, took the lead in the 35th minute when an unmarked Rodrigues received the ball just outside the box and with little effort put it past Mohammedan Sporting goalie Tharangachan.
As the match progressed, the Kolkata team lost its touch and despite getting some chances, the profligacy of an off-colour Mike Okoro cost the team. The wingers were ineffective and lack of coordination added to their misery.
It gave an advantage to Mumbai FC, who extended the lead in the 44th minute as Hammond fed Kulothungan with a pin-point pass and the forward tapped it past the goalkeeper.
The second goal shook the confidence of Mohammedan Sporting, prompting coach Shabbir Ali to make all the three substitutes but none of them proved effective.
India striker Yadav put the final nail in the coffin after being set-up by a fine cross from Hammond in the 74th minute.
- Air India snap Mumbai FC's five-match unbeaten run in I-League - Jan 28, 2012
- Mohun Bagan, Mumbai FC win (Roundup) - Oct 24, 2011
- I-League: East Bengal breeze past Mumbai FC - Mar 30, 2012
- Federation Cup: Mohun Bagan bow out, Wahingdoh upset Churchill - Sep 20, 2011
- East Bengal, Lajong in Fed Cup semis - Sep 21, 2011
- East Bengal blank Lajong 3-0 in I-League - Nov 12, 2009
- Md Sporting beat Air India - Sep 20, 2012
- Pune FC thrash HAL 5-1 in U-20 I-League - Apr 20, 2012
- ONGC beat Aizawal to qualify for I-League - Apr 16, 2012
- ONGC qualify for I-League after draw with Aizawal (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Dempo thrash Mumbai FC 2-0 in I-League - Feb 01, 2012
- Mohammedan Sporting in Federation Cup's main phase - Sep 13, 2011
- Sesa Goa in Durand Cup - Aug 27, 2012
- Prayag United, Mumbai FC shock rivals - Nov 23, 2011
- Late strike by Henry helps Mumbai FC draw with AIFF XI - Jan 15, 2011