Mumbai Crime Branch to enquire into attack on Abu SalemJuly 25th, 2010 - 5:08 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 25 (IANS) The Crime Branch of the Mumbai police will investigate the attack on mafia don Abu Salem, allegedly by an aide of rival gangster Dawood Ibrahim, inside the Arthur Road Jail, a senior officer said here Sunday.
“We are in the process of taking over the investigation into the attack on Salem,,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (Crime Branch) Nisar Tamboli told IANS.
Salem, 43, was attacked during breakfast time Saturday with a sharpened spoon allegedly by Mohammed Dossa, a member of absconding mafia don Dawood Ibrahim’s gang. Salem had injuries on the face and neck.
He was shifted to the Taloja Central Jail in Raigad district late Saturday.
“The decision came after Salem was attacked. His safety was at stake and hence the decision was taken. He was shifted to the Taloja jail late last (Saturday) night,” said Saba Qureshi, Salem’s lawyer.
According to state home department officials, Salem was shifted to avoid any further security breaches or clashes between him and the rival gangsters.
A case has been lodged against Dossa at the N.M. Joshi Marg Police Station here.
Besides his alleged role in the 1993 Mumbai serial bomb blasts case, Salem is also named as an accused in the killing of music baron Gulshan Kumar in 1997.
Salem, whose name once spelt dread for Bollywood, is also considered instrumental in unsuccessful attempts on the lives of filmmakers Rajeev Rai and Rakesh Roshan a few years ago.
He, along with his girlfriend and Bollywood starlet Monica Bedi, was extradited to India in November 2005 after an assurance by the former National Democratic Alliance government that the duo would not be given the death penalty if found guilty in the crimes they were charged with.
- After attack, Abu Salem shifted to Raigad jail - Jul 25, 2010
- Salem shifted to Raigad jail after attack on him (Lead) - Jul 25, 2010
- Salem injuries self-inflicted, Dossa tells cops - Jul 28, 2010
- Abu Salem stabbed by Dawood aide in jail, now stable (Lead) - Jul 24, 2010
- Abu Salem attacked in jail by Dawood henchman - Jul 24, 2010
- Abu Salem's lawyer to take on minister over allegations of luxurious treatment - Jul 29, 2010
- Salem's lawyer to file complaint Maharashtra Home Minister - Jul 28, 2010
- Gangster Abu Salem shifted to Thane jail - Jul 28, 2010
- Bangalore, Pune blasts accused murdered in jail (Second Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- One injured in Mumbai jail gang-war - Sep 25, 2010
- Murdered IM operative's lawyer to seek CBI probe - Jun 08, 2012
- No threat of mafia gang war in Mumbai: R.R. Patil - May 18, 2011
- Mumbai politicians, activists condemn Mid Day scribe's murder - Jun 11, 2011
- Portuguese Supreme Court cancels Abu Salem's extradition, CBI to appeal - Sep 27, 2011
- India's Most Wanted list goof-up: Another man found in Mumbai - May 19, 2011
Tags: alliance government, arthur road, bomb blasts, central jail, commissioner of police, crime branch, don dawood ibrahim, gulshan kumar, joshi marg, last saturday night, m joshi, mafia don, monica bedi, mumbai police, music baron, national democratic alliance, rakesh roshan, rival gangster, security breaches, unsuccessful attempts