Mumbai blaze guts three shopping plazas, three firemen hurtNovember 26th, 2011 - 3:49 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 26 (IANS) Three firemen were injured while battling a fire which gutted three popular shopping complexes in south Mumbai early Saturday, fire brigade said. The cause of the fire was not known.
According to a fire brigade official, the blaze started around 3.30 a.m. in the Sara-Sahara Mall, barely a stone’s throw away from Mumbai Police Commissionerate at Crawford Market.
The injured were rushed to nearby hospitals even as the blaze continued to throw up clouds of smoke and ash in south Mumbai area.
The fire quickly spread from Sara-Sahara Mall to the adjoining Manish Market and Mohta Market, both known for their electrical consumer goods.
The cause of the fire was not known. Besides the three injured fire-fighters, there were no reports of any casualties so far, the official said.
According to a civic official, more than 350 shops located inside the three shopping plazas were reduced to ashes. Scores of small shops located on the outskirts of the complexes, suffered losses running into crores of rupees.
Sara-Sahara Mall has been in the news for its reported ownership by don Dawood Ibrahim.
Municipal Commissioner Subodh Kumar told reporters that the fire would be brought “under control soon” and there were no immediate reports of any casualties.
The conflagration in Manish Market was on the verge of being controlled but operations were hampered due to the billowing smoke.
At least 34 fire tenders and 20 water tankers and two ambulances were rushed to the scene to control the blaze in the heart of the commercial area of south Mumbai.
- Media Foundation of India awards declared - Aug 23, 2012
- Mamata sniffs sabotage, orders probe into Kolkata fire - Mar 22, 2012
- Pune mall catches fire, 15 rescued - Jun 21, 2012
- Dawood's brother attacked, aide killed (Lead) - May 18, 2011
- Dawood's brother attacked in Mumbai, aide killed (Second Lead) - May 18, 2011
- Fire in liquor shop near Sahara Mall in Gurgaon - Jul 02, 2012
- Korean ship catches fire, one injured - Mar 17, 2012
- Major fire at Mumbai's Naval Dockyard - Nov 03, 2011
- Two fires in Kolkata, no casualties (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Two more detained for attack on Dawood's brother - May 18, 2011
- Two fires break out in Kolkata, no casualties - Jun 16, 2012
- Mantralaya fire toll rises to five (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Man Sets Roseville Galleria Mall On Fire - Oct 22, 2010
- Blaze at IPL chief Lalit Modi's Mumbai bungalow - Dec 19, 2009
- Fire in Mumbai mall - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: ambulances, billowing smoke, civic official, clouds of smoke, conflagration, crawford market, crores, don dawood ibrahim, fire brigade, fire fighters, fire tenders, firemen, manish market, municipal commissioner, nearby hospitals, rupees, shopping complexes, south mumbai, subodh kumar, water tankers