Mumbai-based sex workers collective bags UN awardJune 6th, 2008 - 5:26 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 6 (IANS) Mumbai-based organization Sanghamitra, working with female sex workers in the city’s red light area of Kamathipura, has bagged the prestigious UN Red Ribbon Award 2008. Presented every two years at the International AIDS Conference by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the award seeks to recognise community initiatives that help in reducing the spread and impact of AIDS.
The award, given to only 25 from a pool of over 560 organisations, will be presented during the UN general assembly special session for HIV/AIDS, scheduled June 11.
Sanghamitra was formed in 2005 with support from Population Services International (PSI) and has been working in Mumbai with over 6,500 female sex workers, their husbands as well as clients.
“The prime aim was to provide sex workers with a platform for expressing their angst, dissent, anger - both independently as well as collectively,” said Shilpa Merchant, head of PSI.
“The main goal of Sanghamitra was to bring about a change within as well as in society at large. The women hoped to alleviate daily oppression and stigmatisation and the collective has helped them to quite an extent to fight the exploitative power structures,” she added.
- Indian NGO gets international award for battling AIDS - Aug 08, 2008
- Launch of Red Ribbon Express' third phase Thursday - Jan 11, 2012
- Red Ribbon Express in Delhi to spread AIDS awareness - Nov 28, 2010
- Housewives now AIDS' worst victims in Nepal - Dec 01, 2010
- From Kamathipura to meet Clinton: A Nepali woman's long march (Feature, with image) - Jul 10, 2011
- UN officials visit Kolkata's red light area - Jan 27, 2011
- 'Maharashtra has 18 percent of India's HIV-AIDS population' - Jul 04, 2011
- No Red Ribbon Express in Delhi on World AIDS Day - Dec 01, 2011
- HIV/AIDS cases on the rise in Assam - Jun 11, 2010
- Sex workers demand legalization of prostitution - Dec 09, 2009
- Third Red Ribbon Express to spread AIDS awareness planned (Lead) - Dec 01, 2010
- China to penalise people found spreading STDs - May 21, 2011
- HIV/AIDS support services in South Asia largely absent: UN - Nov 30, 2010
- Homosexuality no disease, India must include MSM: UNAIDS - Jul 05, 2011
- Azad's comments on MSM shocking: Gay community - Jul 05, 2011