Mumbai autorickshaw drivers divided on strikeApril 15th, 2012 - 7:23 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 15 (IANS) Commuters may hope for some respite as a section of Mumbai’s autorickshaw drivers, belonging to unions backed by the Shiv Sena and the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena, have decided against participating in a strike Monday.
Leader of Mumbai Autorickshawmen’s Union Sharad Rao last week decided to stick to its plan of a state-wide autorickshaw strike Monday even as the city’s transport authority Friday decided to increase fares for the first 1.6 km by a rupee, effective from April 20.
Haji Arafat Sheikh of the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena-led Vahatuk Sena said: “We shall not be participating in the strike as the transport department has already approved a hike in the fare.”
Sheikh also assured that autorickshaw drivers from the union will be present at all busy spots during the rush hours.
The Shiv Sena-led Rickshaw Chalak Malak Sena also opposed the strike. “We have asked our drivers to not be intimidated by the tactics of the Sharad Rao-led union,” a member of the association said.
Looking at the non-cooperation by most parties, Rao appeared to be back-tracking when he said that it was only a day-long token strike.
K.K. Tiwari, leader of the Swabhimaan Sanghatna, said that it was pointless to go on a strike now that the fare had been hiked. “It is important to avoid a strike now as it will only end up hurting the drivers who lose their daily earnings,” he said.
- Auto strike hits hard Mumbai suburban commuters - Apr 16, 2012
- Raj Thackeray renews attack on north Indian immigrants - Oct 04, 2011
- 10,000 Mumbai autorickshaw permit holders agree to electronic meters - Oct 05, 2011
- Mumbai's auto-richshaws to get electronic meters - Oct 09, 2011
- Commuting by CNG driven autos, taxis to cost dearly in Mumbai - Jun 22, 2010
- Auto fares hiked after flash strike in Mumbai (Lead) - Jun 22, 2010
- Shiv Sena demands better price for sugarcane - Nov 08, 2011
- Shiv Sena, MNS shutdowns in Raigad, Thane - Mar 29, 2012
- Dial-an-auto soon in Maharashtra - Apr 03, 2012
- Auto, taxi drivers protest gas price hike - May 20, 2010
- Delhi's autos, taxis to go on strike from Aug 3 - Jul 20, 2012
- Mumbai taxi fares rise from Sunday - Jun 23, 2010
- Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI triumphs in Mumbai, Thane civic polls; MNS gains (Intro Roundup) - Feb 17, 2012
- Mumbai autorickshaws on strike for fare hike - Jun 22, 2010
- Delhi auto, taxi rides costlier (Lead) - Jun 22, 2010
Tags: arafat, autorickshaw, commuters, cooperation, earnings, haji, malak, respite, rickshaw, rupee, rush hours, s union, sheikh, shiv sena, token strike, transport authority, transport department, unions