Mumbai attackers had links to Pakistani soil: USJanuary 6th, 2009 - 1:40 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 6 (IANS) Stating it was “clear” that the Mumbai attackers had “links that lead to Pakistani soil”, senior US diplomat Richard Boucher Monday evening said Pakistan and India should cooperate in the probe into the carnage as each possessed “pieces of the puzzle” that could help find the perpetrators.While urging the South Asian neighbours to cooperate in the probe, the US assistant secretary of state for South and Central Asia said, “Each side has pieces of the puzzle and they need to be known to each other.”
“The two sides need to exchange information. People have to work with each other,” Boucher said at a press conference at the US embassy, Geo TV reported.
The US diplomat arrived here early Monday for talks with the Pakistani leadership in a bid to defuse the tensions between New Delhi and Islamabad sparked by the 26/11 attacks in which more than 170 people, including 26 foreigners, were killed.
India Monday handed over to Islamabad evidence linking the terrorists behind the attacks to elements in Pakistan, which Boucher described as a positive step.
Boucher said it was “clear that the attackers had links that lead to Pakistani soil”.
He also said Pakistan’s crackdown on the Jamaat-ud-Dawa, a charity with links to the terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), showed the country’s “commitment to eliminate sources of terrorism on Pakistani soil”.
“There is determination here to follow up and find the groups that are responsible so they never do it again,” he said.
Boucher is to go to India for meetings with leaders in New Delhi.
- Hafiz Saeed publicly slams Pope, defends blasphemy law - Jan 30, 2011
- Pakistani group slams US reward for Hafiz Saeed - Apr 04, 2012
- Origin of Mumbai attack was Pakistan: US - Jan 07, 2009
- 'No exclusive US bounty for Hafiz Saeed' - Apr 29, 2012
- India to Pakistan: Another terror attack will harm ties - Aug 04, 2010
- India to share more Mumbai information with US Thursday - Jan 07, 2009
- Hafiz Saeed rubbishes Indo-Pak cricket diplomacy - Apr 12, 2011
- India counters Pakistan, says enough info against Hafiz Saeed - Nov 11, 2011
- India cannot prove JuD's link with 26/11 attack: Hafiz Saeed - Apr 26, 2011
- India, Israel behind US court summons against ISI chiefs, JuD leaders, claims Makki - Jan 19, 2011
- Hafiz Saeed challenges India to prove his involvement in 26/11 - Apr 25, 2011
- 'US diplomats harassed in Pakistan for backing India's n-programme' - Dec 01, 2010
- India-Pakistan foreign secretary talks June-end, terror tops agenda - Jun 09, 2011
- Pakistan must rein in Hafiz Saeed, demands daily - Apr 05, 2012
- India, Pakistan cha cha begins - Jun 22, 2010