Multi-level marketing firm chief detained in ChennaiMay 24th, 2008 - 10:08 pm ICT by admin
Chennai, May 24 (IANS) A multi-level marketing firm chief was detained Saturday here for one year under the Goonda Act following seizure of wealth amounting to over Rs.2.89 billion, the police said. Quest Net’s managing director Pushpam Appala Naidu, 39, and her company have been accused of cheating over 9,000 people across the country. The act allows preventive detention without trial for a year.
Naidu’s assets were spread in several Indian cities as property, cash, shares and gold. Notices have been issued by the central government agencies against the company for allegedly evading duty to the tune of Rs.260.57 million on gold imports since 2003, for which a private Indian bank also has been asked to respond to charges of complicity, police sources said.
Her detention follows her earlier arrest in 2003 for similar offences. Her colleague, Augustine Joseph, at present in police custody, is also likely to be jailed for a year under the same law, police sources added.
Pushpam and six of her colleagues were arrested May first week following complaints of cheating and criminal breach of trust.
The company is said to be banned in Sri Lanka, Indonesia and the Philippines.
Quest Net’s principals - Gold Quest, a multinational company present in over 100 countries - has, however, denied any wrongdoing in a press communiqu
- Quest Net officials may be detained under Goonda Act - May 13, 2008
- Chennai police recover gold coins from MLM firm - May 04, 2008
- Gold Sukh fraud: Rajasthan police team to leave for Hanoi - Feb 15, 2012
- Businessmen who duped investors of Rs.2,000 mn extradited - Mar 20, 2012
- Accused in multi-million fraud arrested - Jan 29, 2012
- Karnataka IT minister resigns over land scam (Lead) - Dec 03, 2010
- Man murdered, body parts strewn across Andhra town - Nov 08, 2010
- Engineer becomes thief to recover business losses - May 11, 2012
- IIT student suspected in murder to be taken to court - Oct 26, 2009
- Four held for cheating telecom company Uninor (Lead) - Jan 01, 2011
- More gold seized from MLM firm in Chennai - May 05, 2008
- Infosys employee commits suicide at Hyderabad centre - Feb 18, 2011
- Yeddyurappa's minister faces illegal land deal case (Lead) - Dec 02, 2010
- Jagan arrested in assets case, party calls for Andhra shutdown (Roundup) - May 28, 2012
- Four arrested for cheating telecom company - Jan 01, 2011