Mulford discusses n-deal with Manmohan (Lead)July 10th, 2008 - 7:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 10 (IANS) US Ambassador David Mulford met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Thursday, hours after the Indian government made public the text of a draft of its safeguards pact with the IAEA. According to diplomatic sources, Mulford visited the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) to discuss the future steps in the implementation of the India-US nuclear deal.
He was also expected to have briefed Manmohan Singh about his meetings with envoys of nearly two dozen countries belonging to the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) Wednesday.
US embassy officials, however, refused to give any details on the envoy’s meeting with the prime minister.
After India’s safeguards agreement with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) is approved by the Board of Governors and signed by the two parties, the 45-member Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) will consider changing its guidelines on nuclear commerce in India’s favour.
The India-US nuclear deal will then go for a formal US presidential determination before heading for US congressional approval. With only 40 legislative days left in the Congressional calendar after the house returns from recess later this year, the process will have to be fast-tracked at each stage for the 123 agreement to come before the two chambers of US Congress.
- Mulford meets with PM - Jul 10, 2008
- US firmly supports clean waiver to India: Roemer - Jun 30, 2011
- Ahead of Clinton visit, US says committed to NSG waiver - Jul 14, 2011
- US lauds India's commitment to n-safeguards - Sep 30, 2011
- US firmly supports NSG clean waiver to India: Roemer (Lead, With image) - Jun 30, 2011
- US firmly supports NSG clean waiver to India (Second Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Clinton visit: US committed to nuclear deal (Lead) - Jul 14, 2011
- As fuel supplies resume, India's nuclear power output up - Jan 11, 2010
- US,India seal re-processing accord - Mar 29, 2010
- Manmohan heads East to Bali and Singapore - Nov 16, 2011
- Ahead of Obama visit, India signs n-liability pact (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- India, US ready for strategic ties, says PM (Lead) - Nov 08, 2010
- After France and US, Germany pitches for India's entry into NSG - Dec 06, 2010
- As in 2005, PM the driving force for finalising nuke deal with US in 2009 - Nov 22, 2009
- No deceit over n-deal, says Congress, as BJP and Left see red (Roundup) - Jul 10, 2008