Mukherjee presents credentials to Queen, Pakistani envoy too takes overJune 24th, 2008 - 6:41 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 24 (IANS) India’s 21st High Commissioner to Britain presented his credentials to the Queen Tuesday - coincidentally, just as his Pakistani counterpart began a second stint in London. Shiv Shankar Mukherjee, the senior-most officer in the Indian Foreign Service, was taken in a horse-driven carriage from his residence at 9 Kensington Palace Gardens to Buckingham Palace.
Presentation of an envoy’s credentials to the British monarch formalises the process of diplomatic representation, although an envoy may begin to work at any time of his choosing by informing the British foreign office.
Meanwhile, Wajid Hasan, a close aide to slain former premier Benazir Bhutto, began his second stint as Pakistan’s High Commissioner Monday.
Hasan’s first tenure ended abruptly in November 1996 following the ouster of Bhutto. He is expected to present his credentials later this summer - a traditionally packed season for diplomatic change-overs.
- Ahead of talks, Pakistan's new envoy arrives in India - Jun 21, 2012
- Fairytale wedding for Will-Kat - world hopes happily ever after - Apr 29, 2011
- Germany, India steadfast partners: Ambassador-designate - May 15, 2012
- Mathai heads to Maldives to push for political deal (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Princess Diana's palace opens to public - Mar 26, 2012
- Bilawal pledges to return to Pakistan to lead PPP - Dec 15, 2010
- Nine envoys present credentials to President Patil - Jan 12, 2012
- Zeenat Aman asks for ban on horse-drawn carriages - Jul 24, 2012
- Israel's new ambassador presents his credentials - Aug 12, 2011
- Prince Charles' tribute to his 'mama' on her diamond jubilee celebrations - Jun 01, 2012
- Zeta-Jones conferred with CBE - Feb 24, 2011
- Will-Kat to travel in over 100-year-old carriage - Apr 29, 2011
- WikiLeaks disclosure: Prince Andrew shocked US with his rude behaviour - Nov 29, 2010
- Queen Elizabeth great grandmom again - Mar 31, 2012
- Water issue between Pak-India can assume 'dangerous proportions': Pak envoy to UK - Nov 17, 2010