Muharram observed in West BengalDecember 6th, 2011 - 11:37 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 6 (IANS) Hundreds of Muslims across West Bengal took out large processions Tuesday to mourn the killing of Imam Hussain, the grandson of Prophet Mohammed, who was martyred some 1,330 years ago at Karbala in Iraq on the 10th day of the first Islamic month of Muharram.
In Kolkata also hundreds of Muslims took out processions at many places to observe the day, also known as Yaum-e-Ashura, an important date in the Islamic calendar.
Holding flags and dressed in black, men and women took out processions, crying and beating their chests in the ceremonial “maatam” or mourning.
Barefoot men with blades and other sharp-edged weapons flagellated themselves and recited elegies in the memory of Hussain.
“No untoward incident has been reported. We had taken enough security measures,” Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Surajit Kar Purkayastha said.
Processions were also taken out at various Muslim-dominated areas of Kolkata such as Park Circus, and Metiabruz etc.
“It was absolutely peaceful. No untoward incident was reported,” Commissioner of Police R. K. Pachnanda told IANS.
On Muharram, considered a day of bereavement, Muslims observe voluntary fasts, give to charity and pray in remembrance of Hussain.
- Indian Muslims mark Muharram with mourning, processions - Dec 06, 2011
- Yaum-e-Ashura observed with procession in Hyderabad - Dec 28, 2009
- Religious zeal, communal amity marks Muharram in India (Roundup) - Dec 28, 2009
- Yaum-e-Ashoora observed in Hyderabad with procession - Dec 17, 2010
- Mumbai's Muslims take out Muharram processions - Dec 06, 2011
- Muslim devotees mourn martyrdom of Imam Hussain - Dec 17, 2010
- Muslims turn blood donors on Muharram in Lucknow - Dec 28, 2009
- Shias take out mourning procession in Delhi - Feb 22, 2010
- Muharram observed throughout the country - Dec 28, 2009
- Delhi Muslims observe Muharram with mourning and fasting - Jan 08, 2009
- Restrictions in some Srinagar areas to prevent trouble - Dec 06, 2011
- Curfew imposed in Srinagar during Moharum - Dec 17, 2010
- Six suicide bombers arrested in Pakistan - Dec 16, 2010
- Muharram observed in Kolkata - Dec 28, 2009
- Muslims take out a procession ahead of Muharram in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 27, 2009
Tags: ashura, bereavement, black men, chests, commissioner of police, edged weapons, elegies, imam hussain, important date, islamic calendar, karbala, kolkata, law and order, month of muharram, muharram, park circus, police law, prophet mohammed, untoward incident, west bengal