Muggy day in Delhi, rains in store (Lead)July 10th, 2011 - 8:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 10 (IANS) The weekend ended on a muggy note for Delhiites Sunday as the skies remained clear and sunny for most of the day after a brief spell of rain in the morning. The Met office has forecast more rains Monday.
The city received .3 mm of rainfall till 5.30 p.m.
“The maximum temperature settled two notches below average at 33 degrees Celsius, while the minimum was 26.6 degrees, normal for this time of the season,” an official of the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said.
The humidity levels wavered between a high of 93 percent and a low of 79 percent, he added.
The morning showers resulted in the flooding of many roads because of clogged drains resulting in jams. The problem was aggravated by some traffic lights which malfunctioned on some intersections.
According to the traffic police, due to waterlogging vehicular movement was slow on roads leading to popular central Delhi business and shopping hub Connaught Place, near the Azadpur flyover in central Delhi, All India Institute of Medical Sciences and Indian Institute of Technology in south Delhi.
The Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) registered 51 complaints of waterlogging, nine complaints of fallen trees and five complaints of wall collapse.
Many commuters were seen taking shelter from the rain under flyovers and bus stops.
On Monday’s weather forecast, a Met department official said: “The skies will remain cloudy (on Monday) and there is a possibility of rain in some parts of the city. The maximum and minimum temperatures are expected to hover around 35 and 26 degrees Celsius.”
- Season's heaviest shower halts Delhi, more rain likely (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Traffic snarls in Delhi after morning rain (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Pre-monsoon rains in Delhi bring respite, traffic snarls - Jul 07, 2012
- Rains lash Delhi Tuesday, more expected Wednesday (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Season's heaviest rain halts Delhi - Aug 21, 2012
- Warm Monday in Delhi, rain likely Tuesday - Mar 12, 2012
- Rains lash capital, traffic snarls in several places - Aug 01, 2012
- Delhi has humid day, rain forecast Saturday (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- More rains likely in Delhi - Aug 28, 2012
- Warm day in Delhi, showers likely Monday (Lead) - Sep 11, 2011
- Rains lash Delhi, more ahead Wednesday (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- Pleasant day in Delhi, more rains Thursday (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Rains lash Delhi, traffic snarls follow (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- More rains likely in Delhi (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Heavy rains lash parts of Delhi, more expected Friday (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: all india institute of medical sciences, central delhi, clogged drains, connaught place, flyovers, humidity levels, india institute, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, indian institute of technology, minimum temperatures, morning showers, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, shelter from the rain, south delhi, spell of rain, time of the season, traffic police, wall collapse