Mugging cuts short Malaysian Indian’s global education projectMay 28th, 2008 - 3:56 pm ICT by admin
Kuala Lumpur, May 28 (IANS) A Malaysian Indian youth who visited 11 Indian universities is to resume next week his global education project that was cut short by a mugging incident in Tehran. V. Vighneswaran embarks on his 12-month tour of 93 universities in 69 countries Sunday next, The Star said Wednesday.
He was robbed of US$500 cash and his passport April, forcing him to return home.
“I was mugged by three youths after visiting a university in Teheran. I had no choice but to return to Malaysia to get a replacement passport,” he said, adding that he would continue with his mission June 1.
Vighneswaran had already visited 23 universities - 11 in India, two in Nepal, two in the United Arab Emirates and eight in Iran - when he was mugged.
While in Goa, India, Vighneswaran met Goa Institute of Management dean P. Mirchandani.
Among the universities he visited were Anna University, Madras Medical College and Manipal Medical College in India; University of Management in Kathmandu, Nepal; Dubai School of Government and American University of Sharjah in UAE; and Iran University of Science and Technology, Sharif University of Technology, University of Tehran, Shahid Behesti University and Shiraz University in Iran.
The project is sponsored by Putera (youth wing) Malaysian Indian Congress (MIC), the party that has traditionally spoken for Malaysia’s estimated 2.6 million Indian community.
Vighneswaran, who is pursuing a doctorate in economics at Universiti Malaya, said he had received encouraging response from the universities he had visited.
The Malaysian Global Ambassador Project, which was launched January by Putera MIC, is aimed at creating a world-class higher education system in Malaysia.
On the completion of the project, a working paper on the world’s top ranked universities will be presented to the Higher Education Ministry, Vighneswaran said.
- Vellu may be Malaysia's special envoy to India - Dec 07, 2010
- MIC to submit proposals for inclusion of Indian community's issues in 10th Malaysia Plan - Mar 23, 2010
- Malaysian Indian leader to seek more business ties in India - Jan 03, 2011
- Videos insult of Malay Indian community under probe - Feb 06, 2010
- Indian youths in Malaysian urged to utilize scholarships - Jul 15, 2010
- Book burning by Malaysian Indians sparks debate - Jan 19, 2011
- Ethnic Indians bat for Malaysian projects in India - Oct 29, 2010
- More airtime for Tamil programmes on Malaysian radio, TV - Sep 10, 2010
- For ethnic Indians, Malaysia makes changes to textbook - Mar 25, 2011
- Samy Vellu to begin special envoy duties with India visit this week - Jan 03, 2011
- Malaysian youth held for threatening to vandalise Hindu shrine - Jan 15, 2010
- Expulsions will hurt MIC: ex-party youth chief - Jul 07, 2010
- Book row: Malaysian government to talk to MIC leaders - Jan 25, 2011
- Malaysian Indian leader restrained from registering members - Mar 08, 2011
- 'My Daftar' campaign for Malay Indians to be launched in Feb 2011 - Dec 30, 2010