Mubarak’s sand sculpture created in Orissa (With Image)February 5th, 2011 - 11:09 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Feb 5 (IANS) Internationally acclaimed sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik Saturday etched the face of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak on sand at Puri beach to express his concern over the recent developments in that country.Pattnaik created the seven feet high image at his home town of Puri, about 56 kms from here, that bears messages such as ‘Don’t gag media’ and ‘Stop violence in Egypt’.
“As an artist, I have been performing worldwide and this is the best way for me to express concern,” Pattnaik told IANS.
The artist, who has won several global competitions, said he used five tonnes of sand and took seven hours to create the sculpture.
At least 13 people have been killed and 1,000 injured in clashes over the past two days between anti-government protesters and President Hosni Mubarak supporters in Egypt.
Hosni Mubarak, who has ruled Egypt for 30 years, is facing intense pressure to quit as thousands of protestors have gathered in Cairo’s Tahrir Square to demand his ouster.
- Sand image on beach in Hazare's support - Aug 13, 2011
- Odisha artist makes ailing Big B's sand image (With Image) - Feb 19, 2012
- A huge sand cake for Sachin! - Apr 22, 2011
- Sand artist pays tribute to Dev Anand - Dec 05, 2011
- Santa in sand, courtesy Odisha artist (With Image) - Dec 25, 2011
- Indian sand artist wins gold in Spain (With Image) - Jul 18, 2012
- Indian artist to create climate change sculpture in Japan - Jan 22, 2012
- Indian sand artist wins prize in Denmark (With Image) - Sep 05, 2012
- Sand artist creates image on earth quake - Sep 20, 2011
- Sandy tribute to Japan tsunami victims (With Images) - Mar 12, 2011
- Huge sand cake for birthday boy Sachin (With Image) - Apr 23, 2011
- Egyptian prosecutors question Mubarak's sons - Apr 18, 2011
- 125-ft-long sand cricket bat to usher World Cup (With Image) - Feb 12, 2011
- Unrest swells in Egypt as cornered government bans Al-Jazeera (Roundup) - Jan 30, 2011
- Egypt unrest: Mubarak fires cabinet as Obama intervenes (Roundup) - Jan 29, 2011