Mubarak, two sons detained for 15 days (Lead)April 13th, 2011 - 7:29 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, April 13 (IANS) Former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak and his two sons Alaa and Gamal have been sent to a 15-day detention on charges of use of violence against protesters, power abuse and embezzlement of public funds, state media reported.
Egypt’s Prosecutor General Abdel-Meguid Mahmoud Wednesday ordered a detention for the former president, the official MENA news agency said.
Mubarak’s sons arrived at the Tora prison in southern Cairo Wednesday morning, according to Xinhua.
All three face charges of use of violence against protesters, power abuse and embezzlement of public funds, MENA said.
The two sons “turned in their civil outfits, mobile phones, wallets and all other belongings to be put inside the prison’s safe” after they got out of the police vehicles, it said.
Looking “bewildered and distressed”, they declined to eat breakfast and only asked for bottles of water from the prison’s cafeteria.
Mubarak, 82, was hospitalised Tuesday in Sharm el-Sheikh tourist resort after suffering a heart attack during questioning by prosecutors.
He had refused to eat or drink after learning Tuesday morning that he was to be questioned by the investigators, sources said.
He will be moved to a military hospital in Cairo, where he will undergo further investigation, the state-run al-Ahram newspaper reported.
Mubarak has suffered from health problems in recent years and went to Germany for gall bladder surgery in March 2010.
Egypt’s justice ministry said the questioning of Mubarak will resume in the hospital after his health stabilises.
Mubarak was forced to quit power after a 30-year rule following 18 days of nationwide demonstrations which left some 384 people dead. He resigned Feb 11 and left for the Red Sea resort city of Sharm el-Sheikh, from where he hails.
Mubarak has denied all accusations in an audio tape aired by Al-Arabiya TV.
- Mubarak has second heart attack after being detained (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Is Mubarak still in Sharm el-Sheikh? - Apr 17, 2011
- Mubarak hospitalised during questioning: state TV (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Mubarak detained for 15 days - Apr 13, 2011
- Former first lady Suzanne Mubarak detained for 15 days in Egypt - May 14, 2011
- Mubarak's daughters-in-law banned from leaving Egypt - Jun 17, 2011
- 'Mubarak not terminally ill' - Apr 14, 2011
- Former Egyptian leader Mubarak and his sons detained for questioning - Apr 14, 2011
- Egypt extends detention of Mubarak's sons for 15 days - Apr 27, 2011
- Hosni Mubarak to be moved to prison hospital - Apr 25, 2011
- Mubarak to be transferred to Cairo for trial - Aug 03, 2011
- Egypt sets up committee to re-check Mubarak's health - May 20, 2011
- Egypt court orders dissolution of Mubarak's party - Apr 16, 2011
- Prosecutors quiz Mubarak, wife - May 12, 2011
- Egypt's general prosecutor mulls shifting Mubarak to jail - Apr 21, 2011
Tags: al ahram newspaper, al arabiya, al arabiya tv, alaa, egyptian president hosni mubarak, embezzlement, face charges, gall bladder, gall bladder surgery, hosni mubarak, hospitalised, justice ministry, military hospital, police vehicles, power abuse, president hosni mubarak, prosecutor general, red sea resort, sharm el sheikh, tuesday morning