MSP hiked to boost food productionOctober 25th, 2011 - 6:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 25 (IANS) In order to boost food production of the rabi crop in 2011-12, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs Tuesday hiked the minimum support price (MSP) of wheat to Rs.1,285 per quintal, marking an increase of Rs.165 per quintal over last year.
The CCEA also hiked MSP for other rabi crops. Officials said improved MSP would attract farmers into increasing output.
While MSP of barley has been raised by Rs.200 per quintal and fixed at Rs.980 per quintal, the MSP of gram and masur has been fixed at Rs.2,800 per quintal each, marking an increase of Rs.700 per quintal and Rs.550 per quintal respectively over last year.
Similarly, MSPs of rapeseed/mustard and safflower have been increased by Rs.650 per quintal and Rs.700 per quintal respectively over the last year and fixed at Rs.2,500 per quintal each for 2011-12.
The CCEA also approved the setting up of 15 new Mega Food Park Projects under the Infrastructure Development Scheme (in addition to 15 ongoing projects), involving a total grant of Rs.787.50 crore.
The new Mega Food Parks will result in the creation of state of the art infrastructure in major parts of the country with efficient supply chain management from farm gate to retail outlets, said officials.
The projects are expected to bring about substantial reduction of wastage, value addition, employment generation and increased income for the farmers, they said.
The cabinet Tuesday approved a proposal for augmenting the capital base of National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) by infusing Rs.3,000 crore as government equity in two instalments of Rs.1,000 crore in 2011-12 and Rs.2,000 crore during 2012-13.
- Minimum support prices for pulses, wheat raised - Oct 20, 2010
- CPSEs should need mandatory listing of 10 per cent public ownership: Govt. - Nov 05, 2009
- Cabinet decides to raise minimum support price for Rabi crop - Oct 20, 2010
- Cabinet hikes rice purchase price to Rs.1,280 per quintal - Jun 14, 2012
- Support price for wheat hiked by Rs.20 - Nov 05, 2009
- Haryana seeks Rs.1,800 MSP for paddy - Feb 17, 2012
- Purchase price for pulses hiked - Aug 03, 2012
- Haryana seeks Rs.1,275 per quintal minimum price for wheat - May 10, 2010
- Hooda seeks Rs.200 bonus on paddy - Oct 06, 2011
- Increase milk, vegetables production to curb food inflation: Thomas - Oct 30, 2011
- Akali Dal rejects hike in paddy, cotton MSP - Jun 01, 2012
- Badal protests meagre hike in paddy support price - Jun 10, 2010
- Akali Dal slams insufficient paddy support price hike - Jun 10, 2011
- Five farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - Sep 02, 2011
- Pay Rs.1,800 per quintal of wheat: Badal - Oct 24, 2011
Tags: art infrastructure, cabinet committee, ccea, development scheme, employment generation, food park, government equity, infrastructure development, masur, nabard, park projects, quintal, rabi crop, rabi crops, rapeseed, rs 2, rs 200, safflower, supply chain management, value addition