MPs outraged over Anna’s remarks, Lok Sabha adjourned (Lead)March 26th, 2012 - 5:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 26 (IANS) The Lok Sabha was adjourned for the day Monday after members cutting across party lines protested Anna Hazare’s allegations of corruption against politicians.
The issue was raised by irate members earlier in the day. Speaker Meira Kumar allowed some leaders to express their views when the house reconvened at 2 p.m.
Suggesting that Hazare should remain within his limits, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) member and leader of opposition Sushma Swaraj accused him of using unparliamentary language against the legislators.
“Anna should remain within his limits… he is using unparliamentary language,” said Swaraj.
Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal had Sunday alleged that 165 parliament members, including 14 ministers, were corrupt and rapists.
Observing that Team Anna had lost direction, Sushma Swaraj said it had put pressure on parliament to pass the Lokpal bill but was critical of the MPs.
Seconding her views, National Democratic Alliance convenor and Janata Dal-United leader Sharad Yadav, who had gone to support the activist at Jantar Mantar last year, said: “Anna is against democracy as he is attacking parliament.”
“We have fought against corruption for the past 30 years and for the rights of the poor and the farmers… I supported Anna but can’t agree with all his demands,” said Yadav.
Terming the allegations a “matter of concern”, Congress MP Sanjay Nirupam said the so- called civil society was using uncivil language.
He demanded a probe into the activities of the anti-corruption movement.
Communist Party of India-Marxist leader Basudeb Acharia and Samajwadi Party MP Shailendra Kumar termed Team Anna’s allegations condemnable.
- MPs outraged over Team Anna's remarks, Lok Sabha adjourned (Second Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- Why was civil society involved in law making, opposition asks government - Aug 17, 2011
- As Anna fasts, parliament divided over Lokpal (Night Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Congress MP breaks down in Lok Sabha over Gujarat police action - May 02, 2012
- Sharad slap unites Indian politicians - Nov 25, 2011
- Congress MP breaks down over Gujarat police action (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Chapter closed, says Acharia on Trinamool MP's remarks - May 05, 2010
- BJP, Team Anna cross swords on Himachal Lokayukta bill - Apr 02, 2012
- Can politicians drum up mass support like Hazare? - Aug 22, 2011
- Team Anna lobbies with Jaitley, Sushma for Lokpal bill (Lead) - Nov 22, 2011
- Unparliamentary words in parliament stall proceedings (Parliament Roundup) - May 05, 2010
- Ready to vote in favour of Anna's three demands: BJP - Aug 27, 2011
- Opposition to stall house till Trinamool MP apologises - May 04, 2010
- Privilege notice served against Ajit Singh - May 15, 2012
- Congress terms Anna's fast premature, insult to parliament - Dec 11, 2011
Tags: allegations, anna hazare, arvind kejriwal, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, convenor, corruption, leader of opposition, legislators, Lok Sabha, marxist leader, meira kumar, national democratic alliance, parliament members, rapists, Samajwadi Party, sanjay nirupam, shailendra kumar, sharad yadav, sushma