Mozambique condemns Mumbai terror, signs economic pact with IndiaFebruary 20th, 2009 - 12:05 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 19 (IANS) Underling its solidarity with India, Mozambique Thursday strongly condemned the Mumbai terror attacks and agreed to firm up bilateral counter-terror cooperation as the two countries also signed two pacts to expand their economic and strategic ties.
“We strongly condemn the Mumbai attacks. We know quite well the suffering and bloodshed means,” Mozambique’s Minister for Foreign Affairs and Cooperation Oldemiro Baloi told reporters at a joint press conference with India’s Minister of State for External Affairs Anand Sharma.
Baloi also underlined the need for the two countries and the international community to work together to make the world a safer and stable place.
Underlining his country’s belief in the need for reform of the UN Security Council, Baloi said it counted on India’s experience and commitment to carry forward this process.
Sharma also spoke about cooperation between India and African countries to make the UN a truly representative and democratic institution that reflects the realities of the 21st century.
The two ministers held the second joint commission meeting and later signed a pact on reciprocal promotion and protection of bilateral investment - a step that is expected to intensify business engagement between the two countries. They also signed a document recording the deliberation of the second joint commission.
The two sides discussed a wide array of bilateral issues including ways and means to expand cooperation in areas ranging from energy, infrastructure and trade to capacity building, educational exchanges and promoting people-to-people contacts between the two countries.
The two countries have identified energy, IT, technology, railways and transport infrastructure as important areas of collaboration.
- India to help Mozambique in coal, power sectors - Jul 06, 2010
- India, EU to clinch FTA soon, to combat terror (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- India-Mozambique Joint Commission meeting today - Feb 19, 2009
- Russia asks Pakistan to push 26/11 probe, backs India for UNSC, NSG (Second Lead) - Dec 21, 2010
- Indian, Russian companies ink lucrative deals, target $20 bn trade (Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- India looks to Trinidad for oil, signs 5 pacts - Jan 06, 2012
- India, Uzbekistan sign 34 pacts - May 18, 2011
- Mozambique Foreign Minister arrives in India - Feb 18, 2009
- India-Mozambique sign two agreements to strengthen economic cooperation - Feb 20, 2009
- Mozambique Foreign Minister to meet Pranab Mukherjee today - Feb 20, 2009
- India, Bahrain seek trade boost - Jun 01, 2012
- India, Thailand to boost anti-terror cooperation, to sign FTA (Second Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- India offers Burundi $40 million, sign pacts - Sep 18, 2012
- India, Uzbekistan discuss Afghanistan; announce strategic relationship (Lead) - May 18, 2011
- India, Russia discuss trade, firm up Medvedev visit agenda (Lead) - Nov 18, 2010