Mozambican defence minister to visit IndiaJune 24th, 2011 - 10:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 24 (IANS) To explore opportunities to expand military relations, Mozambican Defence Minister Filipe Jacinto Nyussi will be in India on a five-day visit beginning Monday, when the two sides will discuss cooperation in capacity building and joint maritime patrolling against piracy along the African coast.
“Filipe Jacinto Nyussi, the minister of national defence of the Republic of Mozambique, arrives in New Delhi Monday on a five-day visit to India. He will be accompanied by a five-member high-level delegation,” an Indian defence ministry release said here Friday.
During his stay, Nyussi will hold talks with his Indian counterpart A.K. Antony and the chiefs of Indian army, navy and air force.
He will visit key defence installations, including the Western Naval Command in Mumbai, National Defence Academy and Armed Forces Medical College, both in Pune, besides the prestigious Army Hospital Research and Referral in the capital.
“Cooperation in training and maritime patrolling are expected to dominate the talks between the two sides. The issue of piracy off the east coast of Africa will figure prominently during the talks between the two ministers,” the release said.
India and Mozambique have enjoyed traditionally close and friendly relations. In March 2006, the two countries signed a memorandum of understanding on defence cooperation. Subsequently, two meetings of the joint defence working group were held in 2008 and 2010.
The scope of the MoU covers all the three armed forces, envisaging cooperation in the fields of military technical cooperation, logistics support and training.
It also deals with joint activities include maritime patrolling off the Mozambican coast, mutual training in military institutes, supply of defence equipment and services, and establishment of partnership and transfer of technical know-how and technology for assembling and repair of vehicles, aircraft and ships, as well as maintenance of military infrastructure.
- India, Mozambique to jointly fight piracy - Jun 28, 2011
- India, Mozambique to ink security accord - Jul 11, 2012
- UAE discusses military issues with foreign officials - Nov 15, 2011
- India, Sri Lanka, Maldives hold maritime exercise - Apr 24, 2012
- Antony leaves for Japan to further defence relations - Nov 01, 2011
- Krishna heads to Mozambique, Mauritius Friday - Jul 01, 2010
- India-Japan coast guards' deep sea mock drill ends - Jan 30, 2012
- Clinton pitches for more military sales to India - Jul 19, 2011
- Krishna heads to Mauritius, Mozambique (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Mozambique thanks India for rescuing sailors from pirates - Mar 28, 2011
- Mozambique, India to work for making Indian Ocean 'safe' again (Lead) - Sep 30, 2010
- India, Thailand to boost defence cooperation to tackle piracy - Apr 06, 2011
- As Chinese influence looms, Antony to visit Maldives - Sep 12, 2012
- Indian army chief to visit US to enhance defence cooperation - Mar 04, 2011
- In a first, Antony goes to Saudi Arabia on key defence visit - Feb 11, 2012
Tags: armed forces medical, armed forces medical college, army hospital, army navy, defence cooperation, defence equipment, defence installations, defence ministry release, indian army, indian counterpart, indian defence, level delegation, logistics support, memorandum of understanding, military relations, minister of national defence, national defence academy, naval command, republic of mozambique, technical cooperation