Move to check crimes on trains passing through BiharApril 25th, 2008 - 7:50 pm ICT by admin
Patna, April 25 (IANS) The Bihar government has directed the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of the state police to assist the Government Railway Police (GRP) following a spurt in crime on trains passing through the state. Official sources in the home department Friday said the government issued the directive to the CID due to sharp increase in the past three weeks in the crime on trains passing through Bihar.
After two train robberies were reported in Bhagalpur and Khagaria districts in past two days, the government initiated the move to crack down on gangs involved in crime on trains.
A special team of CID has been constituted to study the modus operandi of gangs and gather information about them. “The CID was told to pass on the information to the GRP, and to crack down on gangs,” an official said.
Several incidents of robbery on trains have been reported from Bihar in the past few weeks. Over 200 trains pass through the state every day.
Last year a report of the National Crime Records Bureau said the Patna rail police jurisdiction alone accounts for 23 percent of all crimes on trains committed throughout the country.
In Bihar, most crimes take place in the Patna-Gaya, Mughalsarai-Jhajha, Gaya-Mughalsarai, Barauni-Samastipur and Hajipur-Gorakhpur sections of East Central Railway.
- Goods train derailed in Bihar, disrupts traffic (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 13, 2012
- Goods train derails in Bihar; no casualties - Jul 13, 2012
- Goods train derails, hit traffic (Lead) - Jan 08, 2011
- Train passengers robbed in Bihar - Jul 06, 2012
- Train looted in Bihar - Jul 20, 2010
- Goods train derails in Bihar - Jan 08, 2011
- Rail traffic disrupted in Bihar as wire falls on track - Jun 12, 2010
- No exodus of northeast people from Bihar: Modi - Aug 18, 2012
- Train traffic disrupted, shops closed in Bihar - May 31, 2012
- Train derails after Maoists blow up tracks in Bihar - Mar 23, 2010
- Train traffic disrupted, shops closed in Bihar (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Rajdhani derails after Maoists blast track, traffic disrupted (Lead) - Mar 23, 2010
- Maoists blow up rail track in Bihar - Mar 21, 2009
- Shutdown near total in Bihar (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Maoists strike Bihar railway station - Jun 16, 2011