Mother throws newborn in Kolkata canalDecember 17th, 2008 - 7:40 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 17 (IANS) A 32-year-old woman allegedly threw her illegitimate newborn in a canal here Wednesday, the police said. The baby, though rescued in time, died later in the day.The incident took place at Chaulpatti area of Beliaghata in north-eastern Kolkata.
“Jaya Sardar, threw her newborn in Beliaghata canal Wednesday morning. But the baby, instead of falling into the water, got caught in the garbage dumped beside the canal. One of her neighbours noticed her action and rushed to the baby’s rescue. But the baby died later in the afternoon,” M.C. Mondal, an official at the Beliaghata police station told reporters.
Mondal said Sardar was having an extra-marital affair with one Palash Sarkar, a resident of the neighbouring Barasat town, for the past one and a half years.
“Sardar’s husband abandoned her and their five-year-old daughter, and married another woman two years ago.”
“Sardar gave birth to Sarkar’s son around 1 a.m. Wednesday. She threw the baby into the canal in the morning,” Mondal said.
The police official said both Sardar and Sarkar have been arrested.
- Woman killed in row over goat (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Woman dumps new-born girl from moving vehicle - Feb 09, 2012
- Woman killed over a goat in Bengal - Jun 07, 2012
- Two women held for stealing baby - Dec 30, 2011
- Rajasthan woman sells son for Rs.40,000, held - Aug 09, 2012
- Tripura couple throw newborn girl in septic tank, held - Jun 09, 2012
- Woman delivers outside Guna hospital, pig tries to drag baby - Feb 23, 2012
- Young mother 'stabs baby with scissors' - Apr 10, 2011
- Baby born with two heads in Brazil - Dec 21, 2011
- Naked woman throws minor son from 4th floor - Jul 10, 2011
- New-born found abandoned in plastic bag - Dec 15, 2010
- Child strangled for gold earrings in Bengal - May 16, 2012
- Harassed for dowry, woman kills self, son in Rajasthan - Jun 03, 2012
- New case filed against Pinki Pramanik - Jul 13, 2012
- Mother kills sons, attempts suicide in West Bengal - Feb 18, 2009