Mother, son sentenced to life in dowry death caseMarch 29th, 2008 - 9:51 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 29 (IANS) A Delhi court Saturday sentenced a man and his mother to life imprisonment for causing the death of his wife over dowry demands. Additional Sessions Judge D.K. Sharma sentenced Ashok Kumar and Kaushlaya Devi and also fined them Rs.4,000 each.
“Extreme form of cruelty was meted out to Bharti by her husband and in-laws,” the court said. The court, however, acquitted four other family members.
Bharti married Ashok Kumar in 2000 and was murdered two years later.
In a statement before the magistrate, she said her husband and mother-in-law set her on fire after pouring kerosene oil while she was cooking food.
- Woman sets herself ablaze over dowry harassment - Jun 25, 2011
- Dowry harassment law misused for extortion: Court - Oct 09, 2011
- Married woman commits suicide, in-laws booked - Jan 28, 2012
- Dowry death: Victim's brothers-in-law get anticipatory bail - Jun 22, 2012
- Dowry death: Victim's mother-in-law told to surrender - Jun 20, 2012
- At 75, she wants her dowry back - Jun 03, 2011
- Punjab man gets 10-year jail for wife's dowry death - Oct 28, 2010
- CRPF trooper's wife found dead, dowry case filed - May 25, 2012
- Dumb woman killed, body chopped in Bihar - Apr 17, 2012
- Dowry death: Four booked in Punjab - Jul 01, 2011
- Woman burnt to death in Greater Noida - Aug 09, 2010
- Delhi woman killed by in-laws, husband - May 05, 2012
- Police complaint not necessary in dowry death: court - Jun 02, 2009
- Man, four family members get life for wife's death - Mar 12, 2011
- Harassed for dowry, woman kills self, son in Rajasthan - Jun 03, 2012