Morning showers raise winter termperature in DelhiJanuary 18th, 2009 - 11:50 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 18 (IANS) Moderate winter showers greeted people of the capital Sunday morning, catching many people unawares and raising the mercury by a few notches.The rain, caused by western disturbances, will continue till the overcast gets clear, the weatherman said.
“The rains will lead to a rise in night temperatures. Moreover, the cloud cover over Delhi is trapping the heat,” said a Met official.
Till 8.30 a.m. Sunday Delhi recorded a rainfall of 5.6 mm.
“One or more rain spells or thundershowers are expected today (Sunday),” said the official.
The sudden rain caught people on the road unawares.
Sukhwinder got totally drenched in the showers while travelling on his motorcycle to a friend’s house. “I was not expecting the rain, or I would have taken the metro instead,” said Sukhwinder.
Over the past four days, temperatures have been rising gradually but the weather has been nippy, while humidity has remained high.
The minimum temperature recorded Sunday morning was 13 degrees Celsius - higher than Saturday’s 11.5 degrees Celsius. The maximum temperature was 23.6 degrees Celsius.
However, the night temperature is likely to fall in the coming days.
“The night temperatures will fall once the western disturbance passes,” the Met official added.
January this year has been warmer compared to last year when the minimum dropped below five degrees a number of times. The season’s lowest temperature was recorded Jan 2 when the mercury registered the lowest of 4 degrees Celsius.
- Rains bring down mercury in Delhi, more likely (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Pleasant day in Delhi, rains expected (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Pleasant weekend, rain expected Monday (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Temperatures dip to lowest in Kashmir, Ladakh - Dec 17, 2011
- Rains lash Delhi, more likely Tuesday - Aug 13, 2012
- Thundershowers lash Delhi, more rain predicted (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Rains bring temperature down in Delhi (Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- Rain lashes national capital - Feb 16, 2011
- Heavy rains lash Chandigarh, surrounding areas - Jun 18, 2011
- Rain likely in Delhi Thursday (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Breezy morning gives Delhiites some respite - Jul 04, 2012
- Pre-monsoon showers hit Delhi - Jun 26, 2011
- Rains cool Himachal Pradesh - Jun 24, 2012
- Second cold spell in Uttar Pradesh after incessant rains - Jan 01, 2012
- North India shivers, fog hits rail traffic (Roundup) - Dec 26, 2011