More violence in Orissa as mob kills cop, torches stationSeptember 16th, 2008 - 12:23 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Sep 16 (IANS) Fresh violence has broken out in Orissa’s troubled Kandhamal district with a policeman killed as an armed mob of about 500 torched a police station and set fire to several vehicles, officials said Tuesday.The violence in Gochapada area Monday night comes two days after security forces fired at a crowd in Krutamgarh, about 100 km away, to prevent them from attacking Christian residents, officials said. Three people were killed Saturday night though some reports said the death toll from the police firing was six.
On Monday night, the ire seemed to spill over to the police personnel in Gochapada with crowds carrying guns, swords and sticks ransacking the police station.
“One police station at Gochapada was burnt down by a mob of about 500. One policeman was shot dead,” District Collector Krishan Kumar told IANS.
The mob also torched several vehicles, including a police jeep and a motorcycle, he said.
With the death of the police personnel in Gochapada, the number of people killed since the Aug 23 murder of Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Swami Laxmananda Saraswati has gone up to 25.
The murder of the VHP leader by unidentified gunmen in his Jalespata Ashram in Kandhamal district triggered communal clashes in which several churches were attacked, thousands rendered homeless and 25 killed.
Police suspect Maoist rebels killed Saraswati but some Hindu groups blamed Christians for the murder and went on the rampage. Christian groups have repeatedly denied the allegation.
Orissa is not new to communal violence between Hindus and Christians.
On Jan 22, 1999, Australian missionary Graham Staines and his two sons, 10-year-old Philip and six-year-old Timothy, were burnt alive by a Hindu mob in their vehicle in Keonjhar district.
- Orissa tense again as mobs kill cop, torch police station (Lead) - Sep 16, 2008
- Security beefed up at Kandhamal ashram after threats - Aug 21, 2010
- Orissa court seeks report on Hindu leader's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- Kandhamal people fear Maoist attack - Nov 29, 2010
- Two get six-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Jun 30, 2010
- 10 kg land mine recovered in Kandhamal - Oct 29, 2011
- Security tightened in Orissa for peaceful Christmas - Dec 24, 2010
- 14 get jail terms for Kandhamal riots - Nov 20, 2010
- Kandhamal riots: Jail term for 13 - May 18, 2011
- Suspected Maoists blow up ambulance, three dead - Nov 28, 2010
- Court records statement of nun raped in Kandhamal clashes - Nov 03, 2010
- Kandhamal riots could have been avoided: Ex-minister - Mar 09, 2011
- BJP lawmaker gets jail for murder in Kandhamal riots - Sep 09, 2010
- Laxmanananda murder probe: Court slams tardy police probe - May 17, 2011
- Orissa gives subsidised rice to riots victims - Oct 25, 2010