More than 38 mn watch Obama’s acceptance speechAugust 30th, 2008 - 12:49 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Aug 30 (DPA) Barack Obama’s speech accepting the Democratic Party’s nomination for the presidency was watched by more than 38 million people - making it the ratings hit of the summer - according to figures released by Nielsen Media Research.The historic address by the country’s first African-American presidential candidate was more popular than the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics, the statement said Friday.
The millions who watched Obama also represented almost double the number of people who saw John Kerry accept the Democratic nomination to run against President George W. Bush four years ago.
The TV ratings firm also said that the four-night Democratic convention ranked as the most-watched convention of either party, Democratic or Republican, since Nielsen began measuring conventions in 1960.
- McCain address beats Obama to become most watched convention speech of all time - Sep 06, 2008
- Indian-Americans get prime spots at US presidential conventions - Aug 21, 2012
- You are the change, Obama tells voters clinging on hope (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Obama leads Romney nationally: Poll - Sep 19, 2012
- Democrats woo middle class, say Romney out of touch - Sep 05, 2012
- Romney creates history in clinching Republican nomination (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Bill Clinton fires up the Democrats for Obama - Sep 06, 2012
- Obama expands national lead over Republican rivals: Poll - Mar 29, 2012
- Romney promises to deliver what Obama could not - Aug 31, 2012
- Democrats petition Betty White to speak at the Democratic National Convention - Sep 04, 2012
- Mitt Romney clinches Republican nomination - May 30, 2012
- Obama heading for political trench warfare between 2010 and 2012 - Nov 14, 2010
- Despite mid-term polls setbacks, Obama may still be re-elected in 2012 - Jan 24, 2011
- Paul Ryan accepts Republican vice presidential nomination - Aug 30, 2012
- U.S. jobless rate drops to 8.1% as people give up searching for work - Sep 08, 2012