More than 20 killed in Colombia bus crashFebruary 4th, 2009 - 8:06 am ICT by IANS
Bogota, Feb 4 (IANS) More than 20 people have been killed and four injured when the bus they were travelling in plunged into a ravine in northwestern Colombia, the EFE news agency reported Wednesday.The accident occurred Tuesday when the bus rolled more than 200 meters down an embankment near the town of Carmen de Atrato, in the province of Choco, on the border with Panama.
The bus left Medellin in Antioquia province late Monday for Quibdo in neighbouring Choco province with 34 people on board, but unofficial reports say that the driver picked up more passengers en route.
The director of the Highway Patrol, General Luis Alberto Moore, told reporters that “more than 20 people might have died in the accident”, while media outlets say the death toll is at least 25.
An investigation into the matter has been under way.
- 21 killed in Colombia accident - Apr 06, 2010
- Colombian soldiers caught carrying cocaine - Jul 06, 2012
- Massive landslide kills two, 145 missing in Columbia - Dec 06, 2010
- Gunman kills five in Colombia - Jul 28, 2012
- Three die in grenade blast in Colombia - Feb 27, 2012
- 30 buried in Colombia landslide - Sep 28, 2010
- Seven shot dead on Colombian highway - Jul 09, 2010
- Murder in Colombian church during Mass - Nov 19, 2010
- 8 dead, 70 trapped in Colombia mine explosion - Jun 17, 2010
- Rapper killed in Colombia - Apr 26, 2012
- 17 killed in Colombia bus accident - Nov 22, 2010
- Mudslide kills six in Colombia - Sep 28, 2011
- Seven killed in Colombia accident - Jan 08, 2011
- Two Colombian rebels killed by their own bomb - Jun 08, 2012
- Five Colombian cops die in plane crash - Jul 29, 2011