More than 100 Taliban militants killed in AfghanistanOctober 12th, 2008 - 2:41 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Oct 12 (Xinhua) At least 64 Taliban militants were killed in fighting Sunday between the insurgents and the government troops in Afghanistan’s troubled southern province of Helmand bringing the total Taliban casualty over the past three days to more than 100, a provincial official said. “Taliban militants launched a three-pronged attack on Helmand’s provincial capital Lashkar Gah at the wee hours of Sunday and the troops with the support of NATO air power pounded their positions leaving 64 dead,” Daud Ahmadi told reporters.
The attack, he added, took place at 1.00 a.m. and in retaliation, Afghan security forces with the support of NATO’s helicopter gunships targeted the rebels killing 64 of them on the spot.
Ahmadi also stressed that 40 more rebels had been killed in Nadali district over the past three days.
The spokesman said there were no casualties among the Afghan troops.
There was no immediate reaction from the insurgent to the government claim of the casualty figure.
Spiralling conflicts and Taliban-linked insurgency have left more than 4,500 people, mostly insurgents, till date this year in Afghanistan.
- 20 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Apr 24, 2012
- Seven die in Afghanistan blast - Feb 28, 2012
- 19 killed in Afghanistan roadside blast - Dec 07, 2011
- Two policemen among 12 killed in Afghan clash - Jan 19, 2012
- 32 militants killed in Afghanistan - Feb 04, 2010
- Afghan militants kill four on spying charges - Feb 21, 2012
- 32 militants killed in Afghanistan (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Feb 04, 2010
- 45 Taliban, 2 soldiers, 5 guards killed in Afghanistan - May 15, 2010
- 10 policemen die in Afghan car bombing - Jul 31, 2011
- Four killed, 31 hurt in Afghan car bombing (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- 100 militants killed in Afghan operation - Jul 23, 2011
- Two kids killed in Afghan bombing - Apr 12, 2012
- Suicide bombing rocks Afghanistan city - Sep 27, 2011
- 22 Taliban, five cops killed in Afghan attack - Jul 08, 2012
- NATO airstrike kills 25 Taliban in Afghanistan (Lead) - May 29, 2010