More than 100 Taliban killed in Afghanistan fightingAugust 28th, 2008 - 9:49 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Aug 28 (DPA) US-led coalition and Afghan forces killed more than 100 suspected Taliban militants in four days of fighting and airstrikes in the southern province of Helmand, the coalition said Thursday.The fighting occurred from Monday through Thursday when Afghan and coalition forces were attacked by insurgents “multiple times”, sparking several engagements, a coalition statement said.
“The patrols returned fire and called in close-air support against the insurgents,” it said, adding that no Afghan or coalition forces or civilian casualties were reported.
The Afghan defence ministry also said Thursday that its troops, backed by international forces, killed around 10 militants in Helmand’s Nad Ali district. It said the fighting in Nad Ali was ongoing.
Earlier this month, the Taliban claimed to have overrun Nad Ali, but Afghan police rejected its claims and said they withdrew from two security posts but the rest of the district was in government hands.
Helmand province is the main hotbed for Taliban militants. Its governor recently said that hundreds of foreign fighters have penetrated the province to help the Taliban insurgents based in the region.
The defence ministry also said its forces killed and wounded 18 suspected Taliban militants in a clash Wednesday in the Arghandab district of the southern province of Zabul.
Due to the remoteness of the area, it is often difficult to independently verify the claimed death tolls.
Meanwhile, a soldier from the US-led coalition was killed when attacked while on patrol in southern Afghanistan, a statement issued by the US military said Thursday.
The statement did not disclose the nationality of the soldier or provide details about the location of the incident.
Most of the soldiers serving under the coalition banner are from the US.
More than 3,500 people - mostly insurgents but also including more than 180 international soldiers - have been killed in violence in Afghanistan so far this year, according to figures provided by Afghan and foreign military sources.
- Afghan, NATO forces kill 80 Taliban fighters (Lead) - Jul 04, 2010
- 15 killed in pre-election Afghan violence - Sep 16, 2010
- 32 militants killed in Afghanistan - Feb 04, 2010
- 16 Taliban killed in drone attacks in Afghanistan - Jan 12, 2010
- NATO soldier killed in Afghan insurgent attack - Nov 12, 2011
- 32 militants killed in Afghanistan (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Feb 04, 2010
- 10 Afghans, 80 Taliban killed as Petraeus takes command (Roundup) - Jul 04, 2010
- 20 militants killed in Afghanistan - Apr 04, 2009
- 10 killed in Afghan roadside bombing - Dec 29, 2011
- Afghan, NATO soldiers among 24 killed in Afghanistan - May 09, 2010
- NATO air strike accidentally kills four Afghan soldiers - Dec 17, 2010
- 14 killed in Afghan clashes - Aug 22, 2010
- Four American troops die after attacks in eastern and southern Afghanistan - Aug 22, 2010
- 13 insurgents killed, 8 held in Afghanistan - Dec 10, 2011
- 27 killed as NATO's Afghan offensive enters day two - Feb 14, 2010