More than 10 militants killed in AfghanistanAugust 27th, 2008 - 12:50 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Aug 27 (Xinhua) Afghan troops backed by the US-led coalition forces have killed more than 20 militants in southern Afghan province of Helmand, a coalition statement said here Wednesday. A combined patrol of Afghan troops and coalition forces spotted a large number of heavily armed militants gathering in small groups in Sangin district of the province Monday, the statement said.
“The joint troops engaged the militants with small arms, machine guns, and called in close air support, killing more than 10 militants,” it said.
The statement said there was no casualty among Afghan troops or coalition forces.
In another incident, coalition forces detained four militants, including a wanted insurgent, in the eastern Afghan province of Paktika Tuesday, according to the statement.
Taliban insurgents who staged a violent comeback three years ago have intensified their activities across Afghanistan over the past weeks to mount pressure.
Conflicts and spiralling insurgency have claimed the lives of over 3,000 people, mostly militants, in Afghanistan till date this year.
- 61 militants killed in Afghanistan - Jul 04, 2012
- 11 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan - Sep 09, 2012
- 13 insurgents killed, 8 held in Afghanistan - Dec 10, 2011
- Seven militants killed in Afghanstan - Mar 18, 2012
- British, Estonian troops killed in southern Afghanistan - Oct 16, 2011
- 100 militants killed in Afghan operation - Jul 23, 2011
- Eight Taliban killed in Afghanistan - May 06, 2012
- 30 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan - Jun 02, 2012
- Afghan, NATO soldiers among 24 killed in Afghanistan - May 09, 2010
- Five US, British soldiers killed in Afghanistan (Lead) - Jun 10, 2010
- 25 killed as insurgent attack foiled in Afghanistan - Oct 08, 2011
- Seven Taliban killed, 18 held in Afghanistan - Feb 12, 2012
- Afghan terror attack ends: 48 dead, 65 injured (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Coalition forces kill 20 Taliban in Afghanistan - Aug 12, 2010
- Georgia to send more troops to Afghanistan - Dec 21, 2011