More snow, Shimla records season’s lowest temperatureJanuary 9th, 2012 - 12:48 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Jan 9 (IANS) Himachal Pradesh’s popular tourist destinations of Shimla and Manali received more snowfall Monday. The state capital saw a minimum temperature of minus 2.9 degrees Celsius, the season’s lowest.
Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal Monday cancelled his visit to Manali from here due to inclement weather. Shimla has recorded 24.6 cm of snow.
While Shimla saw a moderate spell of snowfall early Monday, upper areas like Narkanda, Jubbal, Kotkhai and Khada Pathar experienced heavy snowfall, according to a Met official here. Manali, too, received moderate snow.
Incessant snow also hampered vehicular traffic on the highways in Shimla, Kinnaur, Chamba and Kullu districts.
Most towns, including Shimla, Manali, Chamba and Dalhousie, have been plunged into darkness due to snapping of transmission lines. Even the supply of water was affected due to busting of pipes.
Other hill stations like Chail, Kasauli, Barog and Solan also experienced snowfall.
“The entire belt in Kinnaur, Lahaul and Spiti, Kullu and Chamba district witnessed moderate to heavy snowfall during the past 24 hours,” a weatherman said.
A government spokesperson said the traffic on the Chandigarh-Shimla national highway was blocked near Waknaghat, 20 km before Shimla.
Likewise, on the Chandigarh-Manali highway, traffic was stranded near Kullu, 40 km before Manali.
Picturesque Dalhousie and Chamba towns still remained cut off from the rest of the country for the third day due to heavy snowfall near Banikhet, which is located on Pathankot-Chamba national highway.
The Met department’s forecast said Western disturbances - storm systems originating from the Caspian Sea and moving across the Afghanistan-Pakistan region - would start withdrawing Monday.
- Heavy snowfall in Himachal throws life out of gear but cheers fruit farmers (Lead) (With Images) - Jan 09, 2012
- Heavy snow in Himachal, tourists stuck (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- More snow in Himachal, high alert in state (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Himachal in line for more snow (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Fresh snowfall drapes Shimla in white - Feb 26, 2011
- Incessant rains in Himachal, rivers in spate - Aug 21, 2012
- Hills near Shimla, Manali get more snow - Jan 15, 2012
- Shimla, Manali get snowfall, mercury dips (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
- Himachal shivers, taps freeze in Shimla (Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Severe cold in Himachal, snowfall disrupts flights (Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
- Severe cold in Himachal, rain disrupts flights - Feb 15, 2011
- Himachal towns get snow after 35 years (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Shimla wrapped up in white blanket again - Feb 24, 2011
- Avalanche threat in Himachal - Jan 16, 2012
- Snowfall in Manali, hopes up for white V-Day - Feb 13, 2011
Tags: afghanistan pakistan, caspian sea, chamba district, chandigarh, chief minister, early monday, government spokesperson, heavy snowfall, highway traffic, himachal pradesh, inclement weather, kullu, manali, minimum temperature, moderate snow, spiti, storm systems, upper areas, vehicular traffic, weatherman