‘More Indian teens using networking sites to communicate’May 23rd, 2012 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 23 (IANS) An increasing number of teenagers in India are using social networking sites to remain in touch with each other with mobiles as their favourite gadget, a study said Wednesday.
The GenY Survey 2011-12 by Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) covered 12,000 high school students aged between 12-18 in 12 cities including Mumbai, Delhi, Kochi, Pune and Lucknow between July and December 2011.
“While 84 percent of the respondents had internet access at home, 85 percent used social networking site such as Facebook and 79 percent owned a mobile phone. Preferring entertainment on the move, 28 percent of the respondents said mobile phone was their favourite gadget,” said the survey.
“A total of 88 percent respondents from metropolitan cities had a Facebook account while other platforms such as Orkut and India-based Apna Circle, Ibibo and Hi5 were more popular in small metros,” it said.
It said 40 percent of the teenagers in metros said they had internet access on their mobile phones and television emerged as the least favourite gadget with less than one percent voting for it.
Further, text and chat are emerging as preferred alternatives to voice calls with 50 percent of those surveyed in metros said they used SMS the most to communicate while 45 percent used instant messaging and 38 percent used Facebook or Twitter.
Majority of youngsters preferred information technology as a career option followed by engineering and medicine, said the survey.
- Facebook: India is second fastest growing market - Feb 05, 2012
- Urban Indian youths bored of social media: Survey - Jan 19, 2012
- Facebook sees India among key growth areas - Feb 03, 2012
- New generation students are digital natives, says survey - Jul 29, 2009
- Almost one-third of Aussies use their mobile phones on toilet - Oct 05, 2010
- Phones to beat computers for surfing net in China - Jul 03, 2012
- Facebook, gadgets galore... Indian children take to 'multi-tasking' - Sep 26, 2010
- New smartphones give instant access to Facebook - Feb 16, 2011
- Facebook May Dethrone Orkut In India? - Aug 19, 2010
- Teenagers obsessed with mobile phones: Survey - Dec 05, 2010
- Now, Facebook launches its own phone - Feb 11, 2011
- More than 5 in 10 US adults use Facebook - Mar 26, 2011
- India spurs Facebook growth; 83 mn fake users worldwide - Aug 03, 2012
- British kids call police after bullying on Facebook - Apr 13, 2012
- Facebook 'more popular than porn with UK Internet users' - Mar 19, 2011
Tags: career option, facebook, gadget, Hi5, high school students, ibibo, indian teens, kochi, lucknow, metropolitan cities, metros, mumbai delhi, orkut, preferred alternatives, pune, respondents, social networking site, social networking sites, tata consultancy services, voice calls