More delay in 3G auction likelyJanuary 2nd, 2009 - 9:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 2 (IANS) The auction of third generation (3G) mobile services, which are slated to take place according to the revised time schedule, may be further delayed as the industry still is not ready. “The government is ready for the auctions but it is the industry players who demand more time from us,” a Department of Telecom (DoT) official told IANS on condition of anonymity.
He also said the issue of doubling the reserve price was a “mere suggestion from the finance ministry”, and added: “The final decision will be taken by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs next week.”
The official said the ministries of commerce, finance and company affairs gave suggestions from time to time, which had to be appraised.
Another DoT official confirmed that the cabinet would take up the case in its next meeting scheduled some time next week.
When asked why there was talk of the reserve price being doubled as it could goad telecom players to withdraw from the auction process, he said the suggestion “is a result of the poor response received in the pre-bid conference”.
“So far, not many foreign players have shown interest in participating in the 3G auctions,” the official said, and added that the government also does not want to lose out on revenue due to market conditions and a depreciating rupee.
- Government may allow foreign players to bid alone in 2G auction - Sep 06, 2012
- EGoM to take final call on pricing and refarming of spectrum - May 26, 2012
- EGoM on 2G spectrum deferred - Jun 21, 2012
- EGoM on telecom approves spectrum mortgaging (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- EGoM on 2G spectrum auction issues deferred again - Jul 02, 2012
- Radio frequency auction for 3G telecom services likely to be deferred - Jan 15, 2009
- Telecom EGoM to recommend lower reserve price to cabinet for approval (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- EGoM to decide on spectrum pricing Thursday - Jun 20, 2012
- Telecom Commission seeks clarity on TRAI proposals - Apr 30, 2012
- Telecom tariffs to rise 37 to 49 paise at Rs.1,400 crore reserve price: COAI - Aug 06, 2012
- Telecom honchos to meet Sibal - May 02, 2012
- Cabinet okays Rs.14,000 crore spectrum reserve price (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- DoT to speed up process to meet new 2G auction deadline - Apr 24, 2012
- No decision on 2G pricing, EGoM favours refarming spectrum - Jun 05, 2012
- DoT to meet operators on spectrum reserve price - Jul 13, 2012