More banks follow State Bank, cut lending ratesDecember 22nd, 2008 - 9:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 22 (IANS) Three state-owned banks - Bank of India, Bank of Baroda and Canara Bank - took the cue from leader State Bank of India (SBI) to cut prime lending rates (PLR) Monday from the existing 13.25 percent to 12.5 percent from Jan 1. Prime lending rate is the rate at which bank gives money to its top customers.
The three banks will also lower deposit rates from the New Year by 50 to 100 basis points.
SBI, the largest bank in the country, Saturday announced a cut in interest rates on loans and deposits following the central Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) decision to reduce repo rate to 6.5 percent.
Repo rate is the rate at which banks borrow from the central bank.
Home Minister P. Chidambaram also said in parliament Dec 18 that banks had to pass on the benefit to borrowers following the RBI lowering lending rates.
Bank of Baroda touched an intra-day high of Rs.287.45 following the announcement, but closed lower at Rs.276, while Bank of India, which had touched a high of Rs.309, closed at Rs.297.30.
Canara Bank closed at Rs.196 after touching a high of Rs.202.50.
Private players are yet to copy their public sector counterparts and some are still charging a high PLR.
- No impact of rupee slide on banks: SBI chief - May 28, 2012
- SBI, Allahabad Bank cut interest rates - Apr 23, 2012
- Banks expected to pass on cost savings to borrowers - Apr 17, 2012
- Inflation, fiscal deficit leave little room for rate cut - Jul 29, 2012
- RBI keeps key rates unchanged as inflation persists - Jul 31, 2012
- Rate cut will stimulate growth: Montek - Apr 17, 2012
- Subbarao sees scope to cut rates in 2012 - Jul 31, 2012
- Fitch cuts SBI, PNB, ICICI Bank outlook to negative (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Banks lower interest rates taking cues from RBI policy - Apr 19, 2012
- Rs.17,000 crore released into banking system; retail interest rates expected to fall (Roundup) - Sep 17, 2012
- India's central bank cuts rates to push growth (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Bank stocks tank as hopes of RBI rate-cut fade away (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- RBI keeps key rates unchanged, cuts SLR by 1 percent (Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- SBI lowers deposit rates by 0.25 percent - Jun 07, 2012
- RBI keeps key rates unchanged as inflation outlook worsens (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012