Moon comes closest to Earth (Lead)May 6th, 2012 - 11:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 6 (IANS) As the clock struck 9.05 p.m., space enthusiasts were out to catch the glimpse of the year’s biggest and brightest moon, as the celestial body came closest to the earth Sunday night.
The moon appeared 14 percent bigger and 30 percent brighter than the normal full moon, offering stargazers a spectacular sight.
“Those who want to catch the sight of this spectacular moon again can now only do so in 2014. The super moon was 357,000 km away from earth against a mean distance of 384,400 km,” said Mila Mitra from Science Popularisation Association of Communicators and Educators (SPACE).
“I must say it was an amazing sight of the full moon which was bigger than its size. It looked like a lone white ship in the sea,” said Gaurav Dixit who lives in Okhla Vihar in south Delhi.
While the moon was closest to earth Saturday, it will be the farthest Nov 28 at 406,349 km.
- Moon to come closest to earth Sunday night - May 06, 2012
- Moon to be biggest, brightest May 6 - May 02, 2012
- Moon to be brightest Sunday - May 05, 2012
- Earth will see bigger, brighter Moon Saturday - Mar 19, 2011
- Celestial treat on R-Day - Jan 25, 2012
- Watch out for Jupiter, Moon conjunction Tuesday - Jan 02, 2012
- Moon to be biggest, brightest Jan 30 - Jan 28, 2010
- Jupiter came closest to Earth on Monday - Sep 21, 2010
- This Saturday moon will appear bigger, brighter! - Mar 15, 2011
- Asteroid to have a near miss with Earth - Jan 27, 2012
- Massive supernova visible from Earth - Sep 09, 2011
- Look up, see the biggest, brightest moon tonight - Jan 30, 2010
- Taj on full moon night leaves visitors awestruck - Oct 13, 2011
- Catch brightest view of Mars on January 29 - Jan 28, 2010
- Asteroid 2005 yu55 to pass close to Earth today - Nov 08, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,