Monsoon set to hit Maharashtra in next two daysJune 7th, 2011 - 7:16 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 7 (IANS) Signalling the onset of monsoon over Maharashtra, the weather bureau Tuesday warned of heavy rains in the coastal Konkan belt of the state in the next two days.
While local cautionary signal LC-III has been issued at all the big and small ports in northern Maharashtra, fishermen have been advised against venturing into the Arabian Sea for the next two days.
According to the Regional Meteorological Centre’s forecast this afternoon, heavy rains are expected to hit some places in Goa and the coastal parts of north and south Maharashtra.
The coastal districts of Thane, Raigad, Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg could be lashed by heavy rains accompanied by strong winds blowing at 40-45 kmph and, at times, touching 50 kmph.
The Arabian Sea would be rough during this period and fishermen have been warned not to venture into the waters.
Meanwhile, heavy pre-monsoon showers have lashed parts of Mumbai for the past four days, bringing down the temperatures appreciably and cheering up the people who bore the burnt of the hot and humid summer.
Pre-monsoon rains have also been recorded in some parts of the humid Konkan, and the dry regions of north-Maharashtra, western Maharashtra, eastern Vidarbha and central Marathwada regions during the past week.
- Dark clouds, thunder usher monsoon in Goa - Jun 06, 2012
- South-West monsoon advances into Karnataka - Jun 06, 2012
- Cyclonic storm Phet approaching Gujarat - Jun 01, 2010
- Cheers as monsoon hits Maharashtra early - Jun 06, 2012
- Heavy rains end dry spell in Mumbai - Aug 27, 2011
- Heavy rains continue in Maharashtra - Sep 04, 2012
- Rains wreak havoc in Maharashtra (Lead) - Aug 29, 2011
- Odisha fishermen warned against going into sea - Aug 18, 2012
- Four fishing boats sink off Maharashtra town, 18 missing - Sep 03, 2011
- Six killed in Maharashtra downpour (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Torrential rains in Maharashtra - Sep 03, 2012
- Heavy rains disrupt life, rail links in coastal Maharashtra - Jul 24, 2010
- Arabian Sea depression may move towards Oman coast - Nov 28, 2011
- Two killed as heavy rains lash coastal Maharashtra - Jul 22, 2010
- One dead as Goa-Mumbai bus plunges into ravine - Jun 12, 2012
Tags: arabian sea, coastal districts, dry regions, fishermen, goa, heavy rains, humid summer, kmph, meteorological centre, monsoon rains, monsoon showers, north maharashtra, ports, ratnagiri, strong winds, temperatures, vidarbha, weather bureau, western maharashtra