Monks interrupt Lhasa media tour with protestMarch 27th, 2008 - 4:52 pm ICT by admin
Beijing, March 27 (DPA) A group of monks Thursday used a government-organized trip of foreign journalists to Lhasa to stage a protest against Chinese rule, the correspondents reported. The monks interrupted the journalists’ trip to Jokhang Temple, considered Tibetan Buddhism’s most sacred site, by shouting about the lack of freedoms in Tibet and denying China’s claims that the Dalai Lama, Tibet’s exiled spiritual leader, fomented the riots of two weeks ago.
In its only reference to the protests, the state-run news agency Xinhua said monks “disrupted” the tour of 26 hand-picked journalists from 19 media organization.
The journalists arrived for their highly regimented, three-day trip Wednesday as China sought to quiet criticism that it was barring independent journalists from Tibetan areas where demonstrations and unrest have broken out since March 10, the 49th anniversary of a failed Tibetan uprising against Chinese rule.
Three days later, those protests escalated into riots in Lhasa. The Chinese government has said 22 people were killed in the violence there, but the India-based Tibetan government in exile said that about 140 people have been killed in the riots. Many of the dead were Tibetans shot by Chinese police.
- Tibet situation grim, needs global intervention, say exiles - Feb 24, 2012
- Two self-immolations in Tibet - Mar 05, 2012
- Monks interrupt Lhasa media tour with protest - Mar 27, 2008
- Tibet virtually again out of bounds, say exiles - Jun 09, 2012
- China restricts foreigners from visiting Tibet - Mar 08, 2011
- China, not Dalai Lama, to be blamed for self-immolations: Sangay - Mar 10, 2012
- Tibet situation volatile amid Chinese crackdown on dissidents, say exiles (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Tibetan monk dies after setting himself on fire in China protest - Aug 15, 2011
- Eighth Tibetan sets himself on fire in southwestern China - Oct 16, 2011
- Tibetans go on hunger strike in Delhi to protest Chinese atrocities - Apr 22, 2011
- Journalists banned from entering Tibet: Media organisation - Feb 28, 2012
- Tibetan self immolations: Why isn't the world listening? (Comment) - Mar 29, 2012
- Tibetans in exile protest against China in Dharamsala - Apr 24, 2011
- Tibetans protest near Chinese embassy, detained - Mar 09, 2011
- China, not Dalai Lama, cause for self-immolation: Sangay (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012