Money power, nepotism obstructing youth entry into politics: RahulFebruary 8th, 2009 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 8 (IANS) Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi Sunday said dominance of money power and nepotism was obstructing the entry of youth in politics.
“The youth want to join politics but don’t know the way. Once they enter politics, they don’t find it clean. They are confused about politics and it looks as if there is a wall between them and politics. We have to break this wall,” Gandhi said while addressing a gathering of the party’s district chiefs and grassroots workers at Ramlila Maidan here.
“Once they (youth) enter, they face many problems in moving ahead. At times money power is used and sometimes nepotism blocks the way. They say that they want to work but their work is not recognised. Until we solve all these issues, youth energy cannot be used,” he said.
“We should tap energy of youth in building the nation. But for this, we have to open our closed doors,” he said.
“In our attempt to do away with this, we held elections for the youth Congress in Punjab and (National Students Union of India) NSUI in Uttarakhand, which is a revolutionary step in the history of political organisations in India,” he said.
“I travelled across the country and found that people have one common complaint that there is no accountability. Congress led United Progressive Alliance gave National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA) to the poor, gave assured employment of 100 days and empowered the weaker section through the Right to Information (RTI) act.”
- Youth Congress dismisses anti-Rahul statements by former office bearer - Jun 28, 2011
- PM announces rural wage hike, Sonia wants new direction(Lead) - Feb 02, 2011
- Punjab Congress wants Rahul to join 45-day march - Oct 25, 2010
- Vote Congress to transform UP, says Rahul Gandhi - Feb 14, 2012
- All sections concerned over graft: Jyotiraditya - Aug 27, 2011
- Youths protest at Team Anna fast, claim to be from NSUI (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Westernised elite after my blood : Rural Development Minister C P Joshi (Interview) - Jul 21, 2010
- Ramdev back at Ramlila ground, on three-day fast (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Join politics to cleanse it, Rahul tells students (Roundup) - Jan 10, 2011
- Ramdev announces peaceful march to parliament (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Sonia seeks opposition support to run parliament - Nov 29, 2011
- Efforts to dilute RTI must be resisted, says Aruna Roy - Oct 15, 2011
- Rahul-Ajit combo try to whip up magic in Meerut (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- End of Youth Congress chapter for Rahul at November meet? - Nov 11, 2011
- NSUI protests at Team Anna fast venue - Jul 25, 2012