Money laundering racket busted in Madhya PradeshMay 18th, 2008 - 1:50 pm ICT by admin
Bhopal, May 18 (IANS) A hawala racket being run through courier agencies was busted with the arrest of a dozen people and the seizure of Rs.3 million from them, a police official said Sunday. “The Crime Branch Saturday evening conducted raids at two places in the state capital and unearthed a network of hawala transactions,” Bhopal Superintendent of Police Jaideep Prasad told IANS Sunday.
Eight people were rounded up in the first raid in Old Bhopal area where the police recovered Rs.2.7 million.
“The kingpin, Vijay Ramchandani, who owns Bhole Bhandari courier service, had links in all major cities of the country. He has confessed he used to send out Rs.50-60 lakh (Rs.5-6 million) of money a week,” Prasad said.
After his arrest, another raid was carried out in MP Nagar in New Bhopal area, where a separate hawala racket was being run by Kamlesh Gyanchandani. Two of his accomplices were arrested and about Rs.300,000 was recovered from them.
“Registers containing details about their links and the names (in code) of the businessmen who sent money to other cities have been recovered. We have seized 13 mobile phones and a currency counting machine,” he said.
Ramchandani reportedly told the police that he had been running the hawala racket for almost a year.
- Cricket betting racket busted, one held in Chandigarh - Mar 07, 2011
- Rs.4 million IPL betting racket busted in Chhattisgarh - Apr 03, 2010
- Fake Indian currency racket unearthed in Nepal - Jul 09, 2010
- Two arrested for selling fake medicines - Aug 26, 2011
- Four charged in Kashmir hawala racket - Feb 18, 2012
- 4 nabbed for ferrying hawala money in Indore - Mar 14, 2010
- Indian fake currency gangs chose Nepal star-hotel for deals - May 06, 2011
- Three held in Punjab for circulating fake currency - Oct 30, 2010
- Enforcement Directorate busts multi-crore Hawala transaction racket - Sep 25, 2009
- Government doctor caught taking bribe in Rajasthan - Jul 30, 2012
- Suspected Hawala Kingpin Naresh Jain says he is being trapped - Sep 25, 2009
- Policeman kills vendor for demanding money - May 30, 2012
- Fake currency unit busted in Bihar - Apr 26, 2011
- Pakistani woman nabbed with fake Indian currency in Nepal - Mar 16, 2010
- Court summons kidney scam kingpin from Jaipur - Jul 24, 2011