Money creating havoc in elections: Chief election commissionerMay 13th, 2011 - 12:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 13 (IANS) As election results for five assemblies came in Friday, Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) S.Y. Quraishi expressed serious concern over the growing influence of money power in the poll process and asked political parties to introspect.
According to the CEC, about Rs.70 crore was seized from the four states and one union territory that went to the polls in April-May. Of this, Rs.60 crore was seized from Tamil Nadu alone.
“It has become a matter of concern us,” Quraishi told reporters.
“We do feel that for every Rs.1 crore we seize, we are preventing the entry of Rs.40-50 crore,” Quraishi said, appealing to parties to introspect.
“It is not one party which is guilty. All parties are guilty. Some do it more, some do it less. They have to come together and introspect,” he said, adding that money was creating “havoc” in the election system.
Talking about the election reforms, Quraishi said national consultations will be held for it.
“After that, we will have a national meeting with the prime minister and other leaders attending it. We hope to go forward.”
- Will cancel polls again on evidence of horse-trading: Quraishi - Apr 05, 2012
- With AIADMK win, voters eye freebies of laptops, gold mangalsutra - May 13, 2011
- Casg flow in Tamil Nadu during polls a challenge: official - Mar 14, 2011
- Cover all statues of Mayawati, BSP symbol: Quraishi (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Quraishi to review Uttar Pradesh poll preparedness - Nov 27, 2011
- Quraishi defends cover-up directive to BSP - Jan 09, 2012
- Paramilitary forces to stay for 10 days after poll ends: CEC - Apr 29, 2011
- Paid news, opinion polls cause concern - Feb 04, 2011
- Tamil Nadu polls: Monitoring cash flow is a great concern, says CEC - Mar 15, 2011
- Quraishi reacts strongly to Badal's remarks on jurisdiction (Roundup) - Jan 03, 2012
- Aware of constitutional mandate: Quraishi to Badal (Lead) - Jan 03, 2012
- Paid news phenomenon bothersome: Poll panel head - Aug 23, 2011
- Electoral reforms key to good governance: EC chief - Apr 17, 2012
- Finger printing, spot photos of all voters soon: CEC - Feb 01, 2012
- Paid news punishment should be two years jail: former CEC - Aug 24, 2012
Tags: 1 crore, cec, chief election commissioner, election reforms, election results, election system, four states, havoc, money power, national consultations, national meeting, New Delhi, political parties, poll, polls, prime minister, quraishi, rs 1, rs 40, union territory