Molestation row: Gogoi asks channel to clarify standJuly 19th, 2012 - 9:58 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, July 19 (IANS) Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi Thursday said that he did not put any pressure on the former editor-in-chief of local TV news channel News Live to resign over the coverage of July 9 public molestation of a girl on a main road here.
Gogoi asked the channel to clarify the statement of its former editor-in-chief that there was pressure from him to resign over the coverage of the July 9 incident.
“I have not put any pressure on anyone. The management of the channel should clarify the statements made by its former editor-in-chief, Atanu Bhuyan,” said Gogoi.
The chief minister told this to newsmen outside the Assam legislative assembly.
Atanu Bhuyan, editor-in-chief of the TV channel, resigned on Tuesday, alleging probable pressure from various quarters, particularly after the chief minister commented on the allegation that one of the channel’s reporters is also involved in the molestation case.
The management of the channel, however, clarified later that it was neither pressurised by the government nor by the chief minister of Assam and that the views expressed by Atanu Bhuyan, particularly after his resignation from the channel, were his personal views.
Meanwhile, the police continued efforts to arrest three identified men for their involvement in the incident. They are untraced and on the run. The three include the main culprit, Amarjyoti Kalita.
Police have so far arrested 12 persons for their involvement in the crime and seized the raw video footage captured by the channel on the molestation.
A senior city police official said that the footage had already been sent to the state forensic laboratory in Guwahati for matching the audio with the voice of the journalist Gaurav Jyoti Neog, who has been accused of inciting the mob to strip the girl in public.
The Gauhati High Court Thursday rejected the anticipatory bail plea of Neog and asked the police to submit the case diaries of the case to the court by July 30.
- Ex-news channel journalist arrested in Guwahati molestation case (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- TV journalist held for Guwahati molestation case (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Assam molestation: Channel editor says he'll quit (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Assam molestation: Channel editor says he'll quit - Jul 17, 2012
- Guwahati to have police commissioner system: Gogoi - Jul 17, 2012
- Gogoi assures help to molestation victim, issue rocks assembly (Roundup) - Jul 17, 2012
- 'Molestation played out to shake Tarun Gogoi government' - Jul 17, 2012
- Assam molestation case: Gogoi hopeful of early arrest of culprits - Jul 16, 2012
- Molestation case: Police nabs two more - Jul 15, 2012
- NCW chairperson meets Gogoi on molestation case (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Guwahati molestation case: Prime accused gets bail - Sep 13, 2012
- Guwahati molester surrenders in Varanasi, Assam police to leave for UP (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Guwahati molestation prime accused being brought back to Assam - Jul 24, 2012
- Guwahati molestation: Assam police yet to visit Odisha - Jul 16, 2012
- No further arrests yet in Assam girl molestation case - Jul 14, 2012
Tags: allegation, assam, bail plea, chief minister, city police, culprit, forensic laboratory, gauhati high court, gogoi, legislative assembly, local tv news, molestation case, neog, news channel news, newsmen, personal views, police official, pressurised, raw video footage, tarun