Modi’s Pakistan comments a major embarrassment: CongressJanuary 25th, 2009 - 8:54 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, Jan 25 (IANS) Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi is facing criticism over his comments on Pakistan in the aftermath of the Mumbai terrorist attacks, with the Congress party Sunday terming the statement as a “major embarrassment” for India.”It is a major embarrassment for the central government and people of India. Modi’s statement has only helped Pakistan,” Congress general secretary and MP Rajiv Shukla told mediapersons here.
Modi had said at a recent public meeting that it would be too much for India to expect Pakistan to accept the statements of Ajmal Amir alias Kasab, the lone Nov 26 attacker captured, before the police as evidence when its own anti-terror laws did not provide such options. Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani Friday quoted Modi as saying that he could do little to punish the perpetrators of the Mumbai attack.
Shukla said Modi’s statement was inopportune when India was on a diplomatic offensive against Pakistan at international fora.
“With pressure mounting on Pakistan, it had finally changed its tune and was bowing to international pressure. When Pakistan was finding itself isolated, Modi had to make such a statement,” the Congress leader said, asking Modi to publicly apologise to the country.
- Mumbai attack: Indian envoy meets Pakistani minister - Dec 27, 2011
- India welcomes Pakistan judicial commission's visit - Nov 05, 2011
- Pakistan waits for Indian response over judicial panel - Nov 20, 2011
- 26/11: Pakistani judicial panel begins visit to India (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Kasab will hang, Supreme Court says (Roundup) - Aug 29, 2012
- Pakistan to again seek access to 26/11 witnesses - Jan 28, 2011
- Kasab: He first took to crime, then to jehad - Aug 29, 2012
- Pakistan says Kasab should be hanged, but hedges on Hafiz Saeed - Nov 10, 2011
- Jundal to be questioned in arms haul case - Aug 13, 2012
- Pak's latest flip-flop, says it never demanded Kasab's extradition - May 07, 2010
- Bring terror suspect Hamza to Mumbai: Court (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- 26/11: Pak judicial panel to begin India visit Wednesday - Mar 13, 2012
- I conferred with ISI on Kasab's Pakistani identity: Sacked official - Sep 17, 2011
- Jundal records statement before magistrate - Aug 12, 2012
- 26/11 justice elusive, India-Pakistan talks on ice - Nov 25, 2010