Modi tours villages to promote girl child’s educationJune 14th, 2008 - 11:51 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, June 14 (IANS) Taking a drive to promote girl child education to villages, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi Saturday toured parts of Dangs district and urged villagers to send their young daughters to school. Modi toured villages in tribal-dominated Dangs district in south Gujarat and escorted children to school and anganvadis or daytime child care and health centres. Handing out sweets and chocolates to the children he enrolled them in schools for the new academic year. He also handed over Vidya Lakshmi bonds to girl students.
“We have resolved to make Gujarat free from the bane of illiteracy and malnutrition. And seeing the response of the people to the statewide Kanya Kelavani Mahotsav (girl child education festival) it is clear the ‘yagna’ of education has been very successful and the movement is bound to gain rapid popularity,” Modi said on the concluding day of the campaign.
Urging tribal people to conserve forest cover, Modi said the declining rainfall in the district was a matter of grave concern. “Unless we conserve and maintain our forest cover the future would indeed be bleak for all of us,” he said.
Addressing another meeting, Modi told a gathering of women: “First education and then marriage. Education is the most powerful tool to achieve the goal of women’s empowerment. Educate your girl child before you marry them.”
- Statewide primary school enrolment drive in Gujarat - Jun 16, 2010
- Modi greets people on Dussehra - Oct 16, 2010
- Where children conduct their parents' marriage (Feature with images) - Aug 09, 2011
- Foundation laid for Narmada canal project in Kutch - Apr 09, 2011
- Chhattisgarh to open schools in Maoist strongholds - Dec 05, 2010
- Nitish Kumar ties rakhi to a tree - Aug 13, 2011
- Many Delhi school kids drop out for work, marriage (Nov 14 is Children's Day in India) - Nov 14, 2010
- After politicians, officials to plant trees in Bihar - Sep 12, 2011
- Gujarat organises event to promote millet - Jul 04, 2010
- Two men arrested for sacrificing minor girl - Jan 02, 2012
- For India's Muslims, Vastanvi has got it right (Comment) - Feb 01, 2011
- Miss Universe, Sanjana Jon extend support to stop female foeticide in India - Jan 29, 2011
- Gifts received by Modi to be auctioned for cause - Nov 10, 2008
- Tapping Gujarat hill station's herbal wealth - Aug 29, 2011
- US-based charity builds schools for poor Muslims in Andhra - May 07, 2012