Modi to appeal against court order favouring CairnsApril 3rd, 2012 - 7:59 pm ICT by IANS
Wellington, April 3 (IANS) Former Indian Premier League (IPL) chairman Lalit Modi will be appealing against the High Court of London’s verdict in the libel case filed against him by ex-New Zealand captain Chris Cairns, an aide said.
Modi’s PR man, Phil Mepham told the Fairfax Media that the IPL founder would lodge an appeal before the April 20 deadline.
“The appeal is in the process of being lodged and will be done before the April 20 deadline. There is no advantage or disadvantage to it being lodged either sooner or later, so will be submitted once the technical details behind the appeal have been agreed,” said Mepham, who was head of media for England’s recent Fifa World Cup bid.
Modi last week had also hinted that he would appeal against the decision.
“I have seen the judgment. All I want to say at the moment is that we are appealing the judgment,” he said on Twitter last week.
The High Court awarded Cairns 90,000 pounds in damages after a two-week trial last month.
Cairns had sued the Indian business over a Tweet made Jan 5, 2010. Modi had tweeted that the New Zealander was removed from the IPL auction list because of his involvement in alleged match-fixing in Indian Cricket League (ICL) in 2008.
- Chris Cairns wins libel suit against Lalit Modi - Mar 26, 2012
- Allegations will destroy all that I have achieved: Cairns - Mar 06, 2012
- Chris wants to be involved in Kiwi cricket - Mar 27, 2012
- Cairns gets court's nod to pursue Twitter libel case against Lalit Modi - Nov 17, 2010
- Cairns mulls suit against Modi for match fixing slur - May 23, 2010
- Cairns is welcome to sue me: Lalit Modi - Jan 08, 2010
- Lalit Modi to sue England board chief Giles Clarke - Apr 09, 2011
- Cricinfo website pays monetary damages to Chris Cairns - Mar 26, 2010
- Cairns still trying to clear name in ICL match fixing allegations - Mar 21, 2010
- Modi reveals how BCCI scuttled ICL - Jun 20, 2011
- Ryder ready to make a comeback with IPL-5 - Mar 29, 2012
- Support Anna at IPL matches: Lalit Modi - Apr 08, 2011
- Cairns still trying to clear his name from ICL match fixing allegations - May 23, 2010
- Chris Cairns sues Lalit Modi for libel - Jan 25, 2010
- 'Devastated' Cairns exploring legal action against IPL - Jan 06, 2010
Tags: auction list, captain chris, chris cairns, cricket league, fairfax media, fifa world cup, indian business, indian cricket, ipl, lalit, libel case, match, mepham, new zealander, pr man, premier league, technical details, tweet, wellington, zealand captain